Author Topic: Somerset PA powder horn  (Read 3784 times)

chrisfoot

Somerset PA powder horn
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
Got this from a small dealer at a fleamart.  Very old guy sitting next to a beat up pickup back in the corner of the parking lot.   He couldn't say much about it.  Never know about the originality of these things but, the markings are interesting (especially the one that looks like a cat)....   Are there any books on dating these things?

Offline Beaverman

Re: Somerset PA powder horn
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
I hate to say this but............ by your pics, looks like an old horn that someone either used an electric engraver or a dremel on, the lines do not look like their cut straight with a sharp tool, looks like tool chatter of a rotating cutter bouncing off the grain of the hairs in the horn, JMHO, others may vary, Beav

wbgv

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
I agree..my guess would be one of those vibrating engravers..even the nails look pretty new

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:00:48 AM »
Yeah it looks like dremel work to me as well.  Is the name a significant name to that region?  It might also have been a reenactor trying to polish off a persona, not an intentional forgery.

Coryjoe

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
I agree, a fake.

chrisfoot

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »
Thanks!   I didn't spend too much on it, so live and learn.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
Take a piece of glass and scrap all that off and scrim it the right yourself and you will have a dandy horn to use.  Kinda like turning sows ear into a silk purse.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot