Author Topic: Finished my 2nd bags, requesting critiques  (Read 8304 times)

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
Finished my 2nd bags, requesting critiques
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:29:03 AM »
I have finished my second bag.  Let me first apologize for the blatant rip off of one of Greg Hudson's bags.  I really his bags and I needed to make another one for a rifle that I am working on.  I really liked his design, so I copied it.  I am not very creative, so I didn't spend much time on trying to alter his design, it would have a lot worse.  I was just hoping to get the bag made without making a mess of it.

The bag is made from 3-4oz veg tan leather and has been dyed  using Fiebings British Tan dye which I then added a few layers their Medium Brown which I thinned using alcohol.  I used what I had around to carve the design into the leather.  The large circles were made using a compass, then I used a non-functional ball point pen to deepen and complete the design.  The arcs were made using the same ball point and a bottle cap.   The small circles were made using the mouth of a 223 cartridge.  All the straight lines were made using the dull edge of a table knife and metal straight edge.  All the black trim is pig skin.  What a pain, very thin and too easy to strech and distort.  All the hardware is brass from Tandy.  I had made the horn previously.  I think it looks ok on this bag.

Now I need to make a knife to go with it.  I am also trying to make a flat priming horn as well, but I managed crack it pretty well.  I am thinking that I will patch it up and keep working on it.

Thanks to everyone who posts and comments on this board.  I have found it invaluable.  I wouldn't be doing any of this without your help and inspiration.

Please feel free to comment and critique.  I am trying to get better.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Tim

Offline whitebear

Re: Finished my 2nd bags, requesting critiques
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
Looks good to me from what I can see very well made and artistically done.  What era are you doing?  I read a discussion lately about metal rings not being correct for some eras.  However I wouldn't change it, it looks too good.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Ky Ken

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
Very nice work!!!!!!!

El Lobo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
What a great looking bag.  I especially like the use of two colors of leather and the proportioning of the tooling.  The only critique I can offer is that the fringe cut from the thin leather looks a little delicate and feathery to me on such an otherwise robust piece of work.  Excellent craftsmanship! 

Rowland

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
Agree, great colors, looks great, nice stitching, straps "belong", it all goes together nicely.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
 Great set, nice work on both.

Tim C.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:42:57 AM »
I like it a lot.
Thanks for the explanation of your technique.
Larry Luck

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:15 AM »
looking good, nicely executed!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
Tim, I really like everything about it, except the friinge...just not something I like.... the workmanship is great. Nice proportions. Nice tooling design and implementation!! Someone is going to be proud to wear it!!  Thanks for posting the pics
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »
Tim I think your execution looks just fine and love the design elements (I agree with Dr Tim regarding the fringes though) and how and what you used for your tooling.  Nice inovations and a good size for today's hunters.  Keep up the good work.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 07:17:52 AM »
    Fine job, I would be proud to have it on my side. Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Thanks for all your kind commnets.  This one I made for me.  I hope to get some time to make another.

Thanks again, Tim

stancarlson62

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »
awsome bag, the tooling looks great

Offline Artificer

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
I would echo much of what Dr. Tim noted.  I don't care for the fringe, but that is purely a matter of personal taste and it doesn't mean a whit if the person you are making the pouch for (in this case you) wants it.  I only put fringe on my first pouch as I thought it would look neat, but the fringe got in the way at times, so I've never done it again.  I only make this point because it is a good thing to ask the person you are making "bespoke work" for if they want fringe before you go to the trouble of adding it.  I too like the porportions of the pouch and overall you did a very commendable job. 

There is not much in the way of constructive criticism I can offer except for the way the leather that is wrapped and sewed around the outer edges of the flap.  Is that from rolling around a full back piece or is it a separate piece that wraps around a front flap and back piece? 

Gus

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
Gus,

This is the first time I have put fringe on a bag.  I haven't been able to even try in out yet.  I will keep what you have said in mind.

The trim around the edge of the flap is a seperate piece.  The pig skin is very thin and streches easliy.  I had a lot of issues  getting on the bag.  I didn't do a very good job of it.  Do you have any suggestions on how I might do a better job next time? 

Thanks, Tim

Offline Artificer

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Tim,

I am not sure I have ever worked with pigskin outside of some gloves I repaired, so please keep this in mind.  Chuck may have a better way of doing it, but here's how I do it.

What I do when wrapping leather around an edge is to use a compass or some marking device to lay out the line for stitching around the outer edge of the top of the flap.  Then mark the holes with wheel and punch the holes with an awl while trying to keep the holes as perpendicular to the leather as possible.   This also gives you a distance you can measure and cut the width of the piece of leather you will wrap around the edge - just make sure you measure around the edge from the top of the hole to the bottom AND add enough for an edge of leather beyond the stitches on BOTH edges.  (Yeah, I forgot to add that extra distance a time or two I must sheepishly admit.)  For example, let's say the distance from the top of the hole around to the bottom of the hole is 1/2".  You should add at least 1/8" on both sides or maybe even 3/16".  That would give you a total width measurement of the piece that wraps around the flap from 3/4" to 7/8".  Also when you are first doing it, it is not a bad idea to cut a couple short pieces of leather and punch the holes and then see how it will wrap around the edge when sewn.  Trust me, that saved me a couple of times.

Now that you have the width measurement, it is time to work the leather you will wrap around the edge.  Pigskin can be really "stetchy" and to a lesser degree - so are other thin leathers or splits.  I "pre-stretch" the leather by pulling it both length and width wise BEFORE I mark the holes and cut out the piece that wraps around the flap.  I try to get all the "stretch" out that I can.  I try to get as much of the stretch out as possible.  Then and only then do I use a long aluminum ruler to lay out the cutting lines to get the width I want.  I also use the rule to lay out a line for the wheel and mark the holes before I cut it out.  That will give you a more uniform edge beyond the stitching holes.   After you cut the piece out and punch your holes, CHOOSE the side of the piece that is more uniform and put that on top of the flap where it will show. 

Now, there is another way to do it.  You can do everything the same up to this point, but ONLY punch the holes on one side of the binding strip.  You put that edge on top of the flat.  You punch your awl through the holes in the edge of the binding strip and through the flap pieces and make a fresh hole on the bottom edge of the binding strap where it "naturally" comes through.  You only punch one or two holes all the way through both flaps and edge binding and sew it up before you punch more.  That gives you a little leeway for really stretchy leathers and only the bottom side will look not as even.  I don't like that way as much, but I've seen some people use it very successfully.

When I sew on that binding strip, I dampen the leather so it will work around the curved sections of the flap/s easier and better form to the edge.  I would suggest that either way you do it.  The leather will dry as you sew it, so keep a damp sponge handy to dampen the leather as you go along.

I'm not sure if this any clearer than mud, but let me know if you have questions.

Gus

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 03:37:11 AM »
Wow, thank's for the tip.  I didn't think about prestreching the leather.  I bound the edges of the other bag that I made using veg tan leather, using the technique that you described.  I measured as you suggested and prepunched the holes using an awl.  This worked great.  With strech and thiness of the pig skin, I didn't think I would be successful doing the same thing as I did with the veg tan leather.  I will try prestreching the pig skin on my next bag.

Thanks again, Tim

Offline Artificer

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 05:05:33 AM »
You are most welcome.

Gus