Author Topic: homemade matchlock?  (Read 7114 times)

animus_divinus

homemade matchlock?
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:25:57 AM »
well, im looking to build myself an old rifle... been thinking about doing an old pennsylvania or jaeger type rifle, if anyone can recommend a book with plans, blueprints and such for me to check out.. preferably ones with blueprints of the lock itself too that would be great... and im writing this as i can see about 95% of the forum members are more into this

as for the matchlock, if i could find a book including all the plans and blueprints to build this rifle, i might be interested in going with something like this.. with the old style paddle butt type stock.. i have a full set of plans and blueprints for a wheellock rifle and intend to make all pieces for as a winter project, im looking for something more immediate.. so any help on resources for matchlocks at this time would be greatly useful to me

Offline smylee grouch

Re: homemade matchlock?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:43:20 AM »
Welcome Animus: You might try The Rifle Shop. Address I think is Jones, Oklahoma.      Gary

animus_divinus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:02:44 AM »
ive seen all their stuff... they sell competed parts at really high prices, but no plans for either the flintlocks or a matchlock

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:47 AM »
Hi Animus!  I have built a paddle butt Dutch wheellock carbine and a matchlock.  The paddle butt is on my website.  There is another site that will give you more than enough info for the very early fiirearms and most of it is do-it-yourself.  Send me a private message or email.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »
Animus,
Welcome aboard!
You can find some postings on matchlocks built by ALR members in the ALR Archives.  Go to the ALR front page (www.americanlongrifles.org) and select ALR Archives from the selections at the top.  Then log in with your ALR member name and password.  Go to Gunbuilding Archives, search "matchlock" and you will find a number of post threads.
Larry Luck

animus_divinus

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
it appears i have the information i need now to make a matchlock from scratch... and it looks like this will only cost me about $10 in plate steel, $20-$25 in wood, and the cost of a barrel and breechplug to make