Author Topic: lathe ponderings  (Read 16982 times)

Offline Benedict

Re: lathe ponderings
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
I decided to go with a Sherline mostly due to space problems.  For a small shop, it is very nice to be able to store the lathe on a shelf.  This lathe is plenty big enough to make most of the parts needed for locks and triggers.  As has been mentioned to do barrel work you need a much larger lathe.  If I had more room I would get a larger lathe but at least I do have a lathe.

Also, when I was looking around I was looking very hard at the lathe that is sold by Micromark.  It is a chinese lathe but has the longest bed of all the micro lathes out there.

Bruce

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
Bruce,

I am probably going the same route as you.  Thanks for your insight.

JMC

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
So did you go with the short or longbed Sherline? I really wouldn't like to be without a small lathe, down the road if you decide to upgrade you might consider keeping your Sherline as they are very handy for small jobs.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
I got the long bed Sherline.  It mounts on a board that can be stored on a shelf or easily moved to a table for use.  The precision is great.  For small things it has been great and now I have a lathe that fits in my shop.

Bruce

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
buying older used machines is not a bad idea for the p.tme gunbuilder or hobbiest..buy larger than so you will not be hindered by size if you need to make something out of the gun realm...u can usually buy old tooling for cheap ...just watch what u buy used....most are whooped with alot of backlash and worn shives on belt drives.i am the plant machinist at the foundry and all my machines are old....never trust the dials but always use a mag.base and indicator your work that way.......they are whooped but i can get good parts off them.......patience and good indicating.....good luck finding what will suit your needs....

My old Clausing was beyond worn but I could do precision work with it with care.
I now have a much less worn LaBlond. It still cuts a taper close to the headstock but its a Cadillac, collet setup etc, compared to the Clausing.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine