Author Topic: It Ain't Pretty: Horn Tip  (Read 5872 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

It Ain't Pretty: Horn Tip
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
  As some may remember I really dislike brass nosecap's  I wasn't going to use any, but decided to go with Horn.  I looked at Accer's tutorial and thought " I could do that"

So off I went,  I got a couple of horn pieces from esabee1,cut several pieces out tried to find one most suitable for my needs and totaly screwed it up. >:(   So I went with the second choice and.... >:(   Now on the final piece I filed an filed just couldn't get it to do what  I wanted.   Finaly Glued it then walked away.

Started on it this morning relized I used the wrong glue.  Nosecap fell off while shaping.  Thank GOD for Gorilla Glue  I got it shaped, figured out how to do the RR channel then proceeded.  Broke the Nosecap.  Thank GOD for Gorilla Glue.  Found I had a gap between forestock and nosecap.  Filled it in with Silver Wire.  This is the result.

Notice there are no other pics as yet,   still have some BIG gaps to fill.

Rich

Offline Tom Currie

Re: It Ain't Pretty: Horn Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
You're not supposed to tell us about the gaps  ;D

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
Don't cha love the smell of horn when you file or sand it, augh!.....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
Rich,

On the muzzle cap for my last rifle it took me 4 tries and then some. 

On the first try I had cut the brass too small to reach all the way to the barrel.  On the second try it was cut too large and folded as I closed the front end.  On the third the brass cracked even though I had annealed it as well as the previous two.  On the 4th try I got it right.   But........I filled too much draft along the back edge where it mates with the stock so when I started to file it down to be even with the wood a gap opened-up.  So, I decided to drill out the rivets and slide the muzzle cap back a bit.  During the drilling of the rivets the drill popped off one of the the rivets and cut through the muzzle-cap.  Minor problem, I was out of .040 brass so I couldn't make a 5th.  So I fixed the draft angle, slid the cap back to close up the gap and made two enormous (3/16th diameter) rivets of brass (they had to be to fill up the hole left by the slipping drill) and reinstalled. 

When all was said and done the judges at the fair deducted only 1 point for "rough rivets".  If they only knew what had actually transpired it probably would have been 10!

Lot's of times we learn more from trying to fix our mistakes than we do when things go as planned.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:43:27 AM »
I woulda used Gutta percha, or goat hoof. ;D :D ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:39:17 AM »
Gutta percha?????????

Rich

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »
Gutta percha?????????

Rich

Basically an old form of hard rubber. Can be found anywhere from brown to black in color. I also think it may still be used in dental work.
Psalms 144

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 06:10:02 AM »
Just a joke Rich, it's an early form of hard rubbery material, the used to mak things like the first golf balls od , and used it for a sealant.  love the effort you're putting forward.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Berks Liberty

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
One of the famous guys on here told me that any one can make a nice rifle but only a great maker can fix the problems so no one knows. 

Jason

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
I seem to remember gutta percha handgun grips, back in the wayback.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
Gutta perha is from a sap of a tree in Malaysia.  I thought Shiman would help us out. In addition to use in golf ball it has a little closer to home use formany on here. When you get a root canal on a tooth they drill out the nerve and then fill the canal with gutta percha and seal it all up!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

msw

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:25 AM »
i love the colour!  Used a horn insert on my very first build... had to cover the fact that the forestock was a bit short towards the front (don't ask, no really please don't ask- we can do a deal... i know where Jimmie Hofffa's buried...) so i cut everything square, put the horn in, it used up the 'bad' aprt, and everything worked out to the right length and it actually looks as though "i meant that."

there will be a similar fix on one of the rifles i have on the bench now... my eldest daughter's ex- boyfriend (and this had nothing to do with it) "helped" trying to square up the stockblank.  now there's a big gouged out spot at the very end of the stock... time for some cowhorn.

PC/HC?? not hardle, but it's a 'fantasy piece' anyway, being stocked in Lacewood.

make good smoke!