Author Topic: i am thinking of building a flintlock kit.  (Read 6379 times)

firenbrimstone

i am thinking of building a flintlock kit.
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:40:17 AM »
Like the title said. I have built a couple of Lyman GPR. but i want a fullstock gun. I was thinking of getting this kit http://www.davidpriceflintlocks.com/id35.html. but i am worried it might be a little too advanced for me. so if any of you have a recommendation i am all ears.

thanks in advance
Andy

Offline Dave B

Re: i am thinking of building a flintlock kit.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:06 AM »
I have known David Price for many years and he's a top notch guy. I have not built one of his kits but I trust that he will stand behind his product 100%. I don't think you could go wrong with this if you are good with chisel and file.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:17:08 AM »
       Welcome to the ALR, Andy.  I have not seen this kit other than on David's web site.  From the pictures, it looks like it might be easier than the GPR kit, as the inletting is probably better.  I have met Dave Price at Dixon's Muzzloading Gunbuilders' Fair.  He is easy to talk to and always willing to help other builders.  I would email or call Dave and talk to him about your experience, and whether this kit is right for you.  I believe you'll get an honest answer.  I also know that he would be willing to talk you through any problems you might have with the kit.
       You may even get an answer from Dave right here on the forum, or a message through the forum mail, as Dave is a member here.
        I have no business interest in David Price Flintlocks, nor can I say that He and I are close friends.  I just based my answer on having talked to him a few times at Dixon's and his postings on this forum.
      Good luck with your build.  Whatever you decide, we always like to see pictures of other peoples' progress as they build.  Don't hesitate to ask questions here.  There are some of the friendliest and most helpful builders on this site.

-Joe

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:24:32 AM »
Andy,
I just looked at David's kit.  It looks like an excellent 1st build.  It is 99% inlet and he has already done all the hard things for you.  I would say to buy it with confidence.

Don't expect your gun to look like his example though.  He is a phenomenal builder.  Still, you should be able to build a respectable gun.  Remember the first rule of gunbuilding, "Spend twice as much time thinking as doing."  Everything you do usually has an impact on something later in the build.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
but i want a fullstock gun.

Good looking gun but it's a half stock.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

firenbrimstone

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
I will try to contact Dave and see what he says. I appreciate all the help so far and thanks for the welcome. i have lurked here for a little while while i tried to decide if i wanted to do a build. i am trying to get into re-enacting would this gun be a good gun for that.

Andy

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
Like the title said. I have built a couple of Lyman GPR. but i want a fullstock gun. I was thinking of getting this kit http://www.davidpriceflintlocks.com/id35.html. but i am worried it might be a little too advanced for me. so if any of you have a recommendation i am all ears.

thanks in advance
Andy

Dave is a nice guy & a awesome builder.  I have no doubt his parts set or kit is very nice.

Personally, I like the smoothie, but I wouldn't build it simply because it uses a L&R lock.  I would find a parts set that uses one of  Chambers locks or one of R.E.Davis locks.

If you want a fullstock, I would look a Chambers kits as well as Dunlaps kits. Both furnish good kits, the Chambers kit will have the dovetails cut in the barrel, if that is a concern.

Don't think ANY of them will be like the GPR kit.  The GPR it is a Assembly Kit & this is a long ways from that.

Keith Lisle

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:04:04 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
i am trying to get into re-enacting would this gun be a good gun for that.
If you're reenacting 1820's New England it will be perfect.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

firenbrimstone

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I was thinking more along the line of the fur trades for re-enacting. What would be a good gun, whether rifle or smooth bore for this? i wouldn't mind doing a chamber kit in maple, but were the originals maple.

Andy

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
I was thinking more along the line of the fur trades for re-enacting. What would be a good gun, whether rifle or smooth bore for this? i wouldn't mind doing a chamber kit in maple, but were the originals maple.

Why not - I think it would work well for the fur trade -- the gent left New England to strike his fortune out west and I think it is a aw-some looking gun  ;)!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb