Author Topic: Acurize my Pedersoli  (Read 4591 times)

srspicer

Acurize my Pedersoli
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:58 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just recently discovered this forum, good stuff so far. As Stated, I own a Pedersoli 'PA long rifle'. This one; ( not the Dixie rifle )
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=205&lang=en
I have been told that to use it as a Rev war reenactor, it is not accurate for the time period. I have been using it for years and it has been tolerated. I have decided that I want to modify the stock to represent a local gun pattern. By local, I mean Lancaster/bucks county, PA. What is need to do is find images of the proper era/area rifle and compare mine to a real pattern to see if I can modify it. I have the book 'The Frontier Rifleman'. That book has images of a J.Metzger, Lancaster Co. rifle in it, but those images are not good enough. My question is; is there an online source for good images of the kind of rifle I am looking for? Even a website with images of custom built rifles would do to compare the general shapes of things.
Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to participating here more often. ;D

Regards,

Scott
Quartermaster
5th PA L&R

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Acurize my Pedersoli
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:52 AM »
Would probably be easier to build a proper Lancaster than fixing that rifle. I'm not real sure it could even be brought close. The barrel is another issue, as it is more than likely parallel sided instead of swamped.
Psalms 144

srspicer

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
Thanks Clark, Yes it is a parallel sided barrel. I just wanted to shape the stock to bring it a little closer. Get ride of the bull nose, etc.

Scott

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
Just as a possibility, you could take all your parts out of the current stock, and fit them into a new stock.

Look at Dave Keck's stock patterns: http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/stocks.html
Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
You might take a look at this Sweitzer rifle from the sites Library.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3262.0

This is a post Rev War rifle, but still has the same general buttstock shape of an earlier gun. A Lancaster profile has pretty straight lines on the upper and lower side of the butt. To do that to your rifle, you'd need to reposition/reform/ replace the butt plate to maintain the straight Lancaster style comb line.

Good luck,
John   
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
+1, outstanding.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Not only is the stock the wrong shape but it is much too thin for the time period and the barrel should really be swamped. I don't know of any factory made rifle that would be suitable for Rev-War. How about a Brown Bess musket. Readily available.

srspicer

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:42:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the advice.  8)

I have always wanted to try to build a kit, but time & money...etc..

From the links that were provided, and doing some research, there are a few things I can do to the rifle to make it closer to period. I realize that short of a total re-build, it will never be perfect for the time period, but it will be close enough for me and it will be the perfect project to learn on. With any luck it will finally be a winter project, THIS winter. I have a lot to learn and I will be using the resources and members here for guidance.

Thanks again!

Scott