Author Topic: barrel inletting  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Simon

barrel inletting
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Hi guys,  I am building a precarved  and the lock inlet and the barrel inlet don't  line up.  I have the barrel 1/4 inch behind  the fence now,
and I need another 1/8 inch.  How far behind the fence can I go and still look ok.  I know  that I can open up the pan and get some room . If I move the barrel to far back the inlet will have  a gap on the rear because of the taper.  Any Ideas?  

Thanks.  Mel

Guys I have to say I almost screwed up.  I have a bad cold and was taking medication when I masured the position of the pan.   My thinking was a little fuzzy.  .750 is not 5/8 of an inch.  I don,t need to move anything.
 Mel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:40:47 PM by Signcutter »
Mel Kidd

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: barrel inletting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »
Don't worry about the taper so much.  You should be able to move it back that far.  Other option, shortening the barrel and breechplug, which will change the relationship of the fence to the barrel, causes the same concern over fit.  If when you are finished you have what you think is a noticeable gap, wet the inlet till it is soaking wet, wax the barrel, put it in place and clamp the stock tight from the sides overnight.
Andover, Vermont