Author Topic: Asphaltum  (Read 13232 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Asphaltum
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »
did you mix the twpin turprtine or stain with the potassium permanganate first and then rub the asphalt on??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

hyltoto

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
I mixed the potassium permanganate with water and painted it on with paint brush. when it dried I light sanded and did it again.  When that dries I dippes a rag into a cup full of asphalt turp mixtures and rubbed it in. Then  took a couple of days for it to dry completely. 

I traded that gun for some dumb reason. I shot a doe at 70 paces on the run with it.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
Just a thought, there are two kinds of oil (petroleum), asphalt based, and paraffin based.  There were all kinds of bitumen (asphalt seeps in ancient Iraq (Sumeria)and in ancient east coast of  Saudi Arabia.  They used to coat the hulls of reed boats with the stuff.  They also used it to coat basketry to make it waterproof.  We used to find it in arceological sites we excavated on the coast of Oman.  I wonder if pine tar like I used to use on my wooden cross country skis might do just as well.  You might find a can of that and give it a tryl.  It sure as heck might smell nicer.
Curt

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
I've mentioned this beforemy GrandPa used to have us kids go out to the street with sticks to get the road tar in the cracks to use as a stain in his re-finishing shop. I still do this to this day!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!