Author Topic: Murphy's Oil Soap/Water for Patch Lube  (Read 19906 times)

Offline LynnC

Re: Murphy's Oil Soap/Water for Patch Lube
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
Tried every solvent, soap and thinner under the sink and in the shop including turpentine - wouldn't cut it.
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »
Ok, I gotta get my 2 cents worth in here.  I used one part MOS and 6 parts rubbing alcohol and I never had any brown goop in the bore.  I suppose the alcohol was doing most of the work.  I have used just rubbing alcohol for cleaning and wiping between shots when using bore butter type patch lubes.  I used the combo MOS and alcohol for shooting at the range and wonder 1000 for hunting lube.  I did not like more MOS than that because it was so sticky.  I suppose the more MOS in the solution the more brown goop in the bore. 
Sooo, One solutions is to use less MOS.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
I think I will stay away from MOS for patch lube.......I use Lehigh Valley but about out of it.....guess I will have to try Ballistol and alcohol mix maybe

Trkdriver99

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
I am not chemist, just a truckdriver, but when you carry commercial grade dish washing chemicals you have to placard your load as corrosive. That is the soap that they dilute to make all the consumer soap products. So if it is corrosive in full strength then it is corrosive watered down in your MOS, Dawn, joy, Pinesol or whatever.

Ronnie

my experience as a big time professional Truckdriver

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
tks Ronnie.