Author Topic: H. House rifle finish  (Read 6569 times)

Offline bob in the woods

H. House rifle finish
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:49:48 AM »
I have a couple of instruction videos re Hershel House, and I believe that he uses straight linseed oil as a finish on his rifles. Can anyone varify this?  I've heard time and again that this is not a good finish, and I haven't used it, but have used "Tried and True" varnish oil. It worked out well, but I haven't used the gun enough to see how well it stands up.  I really like the look of his guns, so if it works for him.....?

shifty

Re: H. House rifle finish
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
I am probably telling you some thing you already know Herschel uses Raw Linseed Oil . I use boiled L S O put it one lightly an rub with steel wool until it starts to get tacky then rub off with course rag ( wash cloth) only do an area about half the size of your hand at a time after you have done the intire stock this way set it up to dry for a day or two , then repeat the process until you get the look you want. This type of finnish is easy to maintain , but it does require more care than others.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
I wasn't sure about the raw linseed oil. I remember as a kid, my great uncle used to treat a couple of log cabins with linseed oil, and the cabins turned a real dark colour after a couple of years.

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »
Tried and True varnish oil is pressure boiled linseed oil without heavy metal driers.  In very thin coats it polymerizes in a day without difficulty.  I've used it on a couple rifles with good success.  It hold up well and doesn't water spot.  Easy to touch up too.  For a bit more protection you can use a coat or two of Tried and True original oil on top.  It's the same stuff as the varnish oil with a load of bees wax dissolved in it.

Has anyone ever seen one of Hershel's stock that wasn't dark?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
Tried and True varnish oil is pressure boiled linseed oil without heavy metal driers.  In very thin coats it polymerizes in a day without difficulty.  I've used it on a couple rifles with good success.  It hold up well and doesn't water spot.  Easy to touch up too.  For a bit more protection you can use a coat or two of Tried and True original oil on top.  It's the same stuff as the varnish oil with a load of bees wax dissolved in it.

Has anyone ever seen one of Hershel's stock that wasn't dark?

From reading their site it appears to be stand oil with rosin added. The ingredients are proprietary and not on the MSDS. It is basically a transparent linseed oil varnish.

I have no idea why H.H's stocks might be dark there are many factors besides linseed oil perhaps he makes them that way.
Linseed oil that is not neutralized does contain organic acids. How strong the concentration is I do not know.
The only person I know of that might know won't post here anymore.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
My experience is that if you use aqua fortis & heat to stain the stock, and don't neutralize it, then rub linseed oil into the stock, it will turn "black".  I did my first rifle this way and nearly ruined a beautiful piece of wood [beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some folks like the very dark stock].  Years later I took some of the black out with 0000 steel wool. 

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »
Also - I am pretty sure that some of the dark stuff you see on Hershel's guns is deliberate antiquing techniques that he came up with on his own, beyond the basic stain and finish that are applied overall to the gun - not necessarily the result of the finish itself. 

He does not get into his wood aging/antiquing techniques in his video - that is one of the things that makes his guns unique ;)

Guy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:01:56 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
My experience is that if you use aqua fortis & heat to stain the stock, and don't neutralize it, then rub linseed oil into the stock, it will turn "black".  I did my first rifle this way and nearly ruined a beautiful piece of wood [beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some folks like the very dark stock].  Years later I took some of the black out with 0000 steel wool. 

Some maple will stain very dark with AF. BTDT

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »
That is for sure, each batch and each piece of wood interact differently in my house.
Andover, Vermont