Author Topic: Epoxing a Thimble on Forestock  (Read 3260 times)

George F.

Epoxing a Thimble on Forestock
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
 Has anybody had trouble pining the front thimble where there wasn't enough wood , or see that it would be too much of a challenge. It is really tight. I don't think I'd have any brass left over the hole. This was a kit and after I inletted the thimble, in looks like the only way to attach it is to use acra-glas.   ...Geo.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Epoxing a Thimble on Forestock
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »
George,
Just an option, You can leave the tabs long, let them stick up into the barrel channel.  Inlet a little place for them to lay flat and bend them over.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:06:35 AM »
It's a great solution, Ken.  I've seen originals with tabs in the barrel channel like this.  He probably doesn't have any tabs left but could make another to fit. 
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:53 AM »
It's a great solution, Ken.  I've seen originals with tabs in the barrel channel like this.  He probably doesn't have any tabs left but could make another to fit. 

With a little filing and soldering he could have all of the tab necessary to secure the thimble.

Reduce the thickness on each side of the tab, then solder a thin piece of brass or steel on either side and inlet. No big deal, and faster and easier than making a new thimble.

As an afterthought, you might fold a slightly oversize piece of sheet metal  double and solder both sides of the tab at once. Cut or grind sheet metal at the bend, and you have a new thimble with a long  tab ready to install.

You might insert a pin in the newly soldered tab and peen it for extra insurance, if you don't trust your soldering technique.

Just kinda thinkn'...typn' out loud, so to speak....type.

J.D.