Author Topic: Looks like I just built my last gun.  (Read 15298 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Looks like I just built my last gun.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »
It is not as flat as some might think.  Pretty nice county.
SHHHH we're trying to keep that a secret! ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »
Osprey, it's a good time to get out of Dorchester County and move to Iowa.  A major share of Dorchester County will be intertidal by 2050 given the historic rate of sea level rise on the Chesapeake.  Of course if you're a duck or goose hunter those marshes are the place to be.  Check out my research on Blackwater on the internet.  Google my name and Blackwater or sea level.  Something should come up.  Just came back from Iowa after visiting Bookie and some relatives in Iowa.  It is not as flat as some might think.  Pretty nice county.

Curt, you dont' have to convince me!  When the remnants of Nicole came up the coast this week I had 8" of tide over the sidewalk and yard.  Not the worst I've seen, but it's becoming more regular.  I do love to duck and goose hunt, but know the forecasts for this region.  Heck, I've seen a big difference since I was a kid, plus this corner of the Shore is subsiding in addition to the sea level rise.  Plan is to sell while it's still decent, things are pretty most of the time and can get good $.  Some lobbyist or lawyer from DC will buy it.  With a half mile of shoreline, hoping to have enough after the sale to buy a few hundred acres somewhere farther west.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline papoe

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
like that old movie "Children of the Corn".

I hope you have better luck at the new place than the folks in that movie did!

We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected. HDThoreau

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
Hey Perry, The corn is still up, but not for long. I haven't spent too much time out at the new place yet, but "He who walks the rows" is definitely there.....  :o
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 12:15:23 AM »
Mike, if you're going to be that close, drop by sometime..WHEN you ever get caught back up and have some spare time.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »
Bookie, I can see him joining the Amana colony, and building refridgerators, and ovens. ;D  He'll be living in one of those group houses, and eating chicken three times a day. ::)  Though it's got some rolling hills, it's still awful flat.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
Mike, if you're going to be that close, drop by sometime..WHEN you ever get caught back up and have some spare time.  Cheers, Bookie
Thanks Bookie. I do get out your way every now and again. I usually show chickens at the state fair and probably go right by your place on the way there.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
Bookie, I can see him joining the Amana colony, and building refridgerators, and ovens. ;D  He'll be living in one of those group houses, and eating chicken three times a day. ::)  Though it's got some rolling hills, it's still awful flat.

Bill
We don't call those rolling hills here, we call them MOUNTAINS....... ;D

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »
Mike.....I was telling John about your move today.   He said he had been trying to contact you but no luck.   Let me know
when you get your new shop set up and are ready to build again, hope it's not too long....Don