Author Topic: patchbox release in butplate?  (Read 6814 times)

joe bogle

patchbox release in butplate?
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:41:15 AM »
i still have'nt brought myself to put the release for the patch box in the buttplate on the virginia " bogle" rifle that i just finished--nearly finished.
  i plan to hunt with this rifle and i cant help but wonder if the patchbox could fly open when shooting. I guess that with a strong enough release spring that it might be pretty stable if the release button were recessed enough.
   does anyone have any experience with this type release, or any suggestions, i have some good pic's of the release to work it out but i have some hesitation about installing on this rifle.
           thanks for any help or advice.---joe bogle

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: patchbox release in butplate?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 04:01:52 AM »
I use them often and never had a problem. I put a sort of oblong funnel shaped recess around them so your finger nail can activate it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:38:51 AM »
Check out the last two pictures in the "Leatherbelly's New Rifle" thread.  He uses 75 grains of FFg GOEX as a standard load, and has never to my knowledge, had the box fly open when shooting his rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

joe bogle

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »
Great work on the Beck rifle, love the red under tones of the stain.
 The bogle rifle, however, has a push button release in the center of the butplate. this is what has me concerned. I can see how the design that you used should work very good and i may need to apply the same for my rifle. I guess that i just need to decide of i want to keep with the originality of the bogle.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
Just what kind of release in the buttplate are you referring to?  I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »
I can't see how a push button in the butt plate would work, and you'd be justified in being nervous about it popping the lid on recoil.  Many Lehigh rifles have a simple spring stud that protrudes through the butt plate and is actuated by the finger nail to open the box lid.
D. Taylor Sapergia

joe bogle

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
go to " antique gun collecting" the thread by wayne elliot on the "bogel rifle" and check the fifth picture down. this is a good pic of the patchbox lid and the release catch. if my memory serves me right, i remember just pushing the button in to release the lid. i;ll try to get in touch with wayne elliot and see if he remembers for sure.

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
It looks to me like it relies on the small surface area of the stud and probably a stiff spring to prevent accidental opening.  I'm assuming the "hook" on the lid is installed with the open side away from the butt-end.  If the hook is instead installed conventionally (open end of hook toward butt), perhaps the lid is opened by pulling instead of pushing the pin.  It must have worked reasonably well, either way, or there would probably be a nail or screw added in the lid to supplement it :).

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
Joe is correct. My recollection is that the original Jos. Bogle patchbox release requires a simple push action to open.  And bgf is correct- the spring is stiff enough to make an accidental opening unlikely.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 05:55:07 PM »
If you're trying for a copy, you're stuck with a push button.  However, if doing an 'inspired by' rifle, you could easily orient the action of the catch to be parrallel with the buttplate, and have a little slot where the stud comes through the buttplate, like was common on PA rifles.  That way, the opening action is parrallel with the butplate, not into it.   Does this make sense?

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »
Upon studying the photos, I see that the button is only between 1/8" - 3/16"in diameter.  Shooting it would not depress the button, but setting it down on something, like your instep, might.  As long as you were aware of it, and kept it in mind, I don't see it as a problem.
D. Taylor Sapergia

joe bogle

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »
thanks to all you guys. I'm gonna do it like the original!