Author Topic: ingraving brass  (Read 4267 times)

jim m

ingraving brass
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »
what do you use to highlight the chiseling. pictures look like it's is some kind of ink. this dumb ol hillbilly would like to know.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: ingraving brass
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:55 AM »
If you dissolve a little black powder in water or spit it will be good for tarnishing the brass. After a coat of tarnish forms polishing the surface will leave the background of the engraving cuts dark.

Sulfur alone will do the same thing as will commercial brass blacking solutions.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:42 AM »
Jim M,

You can use "Brass Black" (sold just for blackening brass) after the engraving is done and then polish the surface with some 1500 or 2000 grit automotive polishing paper with a backing block.  Or you can use black lacquer paint (which dries very quickly) and, just as it gets tacky, wipe the surface clean with thinner.  Or, you can use printers ink.  It takes a long time to dry, but if you buff it off the surface well, it will dry over the next few days down in the engraving without much trouble.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »
Jim,

I have seen Bruce LePage use a black marker to color in the engraving. I use Brass Black that I bought from Michael Lea.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Online Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »
Color your cuts with black permanent marker then polish with 0000 steel wool. Works on scrimshawed powder horns too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:53:04 PM by Pete G. »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »
  A number of pros use Rustoleum flat black paint.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
I used to use "brass black" but find that 44-40 cold blue works just as well. Other cold blue likely also work as well. The nice thing about useing something to tarnish the brass (brass black, cold blue, black powder in solution etc) is that, unlike paints, inks or markers, what you get is exactly what any old gun has to highlight the engraveing, it's just tarnished brass.