Author Topic: Northampton buck and ball smoothrifle  (Read 3783 times)

Online bob in the woods

Northampton buck and ball smoothrifle
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:36:16 AM »
I was looking over Eric Kettenburg's site, and saw this beauty . I could live out my days with this piece.
Has anyone here built anything similiar? This is my next "want to build" . I bet it handles like a dream.

Offline frogwalking

Re: Northampton buck and ball smoothrifle
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
Hey Bob!  We would like to see the object of your desire, but you forgot to provide a link to the photos. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:25:51 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:41 AM »
Thanks for providing the link. It is actually 13, 14, & 15
Notice how the ramrod entry is so much closer to the breach than the wedding bands on the barrel.
I'm not certain what the bore size is, but the piece has an beautiful look to it.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »
That forend is so fine it could almost be mistaken for a half stock with a wood rib.  Very nice. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
I do not have it finished but have been playing with a 20 bore smooth rifle based on J P Beck designs.  I used a 42 inch NW Trade Gun styled barrel.  It handles very well and is a fun gun to carry.  Hunting season came before I was finished so I browned the barrel and left enough wood on the stock for final finishing and removal of dings.  Mine is a walnut stock.  A buck and ball gun would have to be a large bore to be effective.  While the 20 bore is plenty for my uses with that type of fire arm I had built a 12 bore that was really a lot of fun.  I sold it and regretted it and the person I sold it to regretted selling it again.  I built the gun about 30 years ago.  I have even broken a few clay pidgeons with these.  My current 20 bore has an "Express" type rear sight which is better for shot use and pretty accurate for ball with my older eyes.  As they are not permitted in smooth bore matches, they are a utility hunting gun but would be fun to use on close range "primitive" or novelty shoots.  I looked at the parts to make a 16 bore smooth rifle, but am still reeling with the sticker shock.  I am talking about using a blank and making a lot of the small parts.  That project is put on hold.

DP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »
That forend is so fine it could almost be mistaken for a half stock with a wood rib.  Very nice. 

Yeah, he kept that top of the forearm way down on the side of the barrel. Iove the look!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming