Author Topic: Denis D. Doyle- anyone know him?  (Read 3240 times)

gmkmd

Denis D. Doyle- anyone know him?
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to collecting longrifles.  I recently bought a contemporary Pennsylvania longrifle at an auction, and the maker engraved on the barrel is Denis D. Doyle.  I have not been able to find out anything about this maker.  Does the name ring a bell with anyone?  The workmanship is very professional; it does not look like the one-time work of an amateur.
Thank you,
-Glenn
gmkmd@aol.com

Offline AMartin

Re: Denis D. Doyle- anyone know him?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »
Yes I know/met him a few times . He's use to , and perhaps still does,  live in southeastern PA and has entered rifles in judging at the gunmakers fair .

Call Paul Allison at 717-442-8578 as I believe he would have information about him ......

Allen

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
I know him perfectly well. I used to go to shoots with him in the 80's. Solid maker. Usually basic stuff rather than high art. I don't think he's doing much today. You probably have a good piece. He did have a tendancy for a short while to do whatever the customer wanted for whatever price so who knows. But left to his own devices , he made a  nice gun. I suspect your gun is from the 80's

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
What a great site. An obscure maker 25 yrs. ago. and we have a coup;e of entries to identify him. Think about it.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »
Glenn, Dennis's number is 717-656- 0076. I sent you an e-mail but somehow it went to Dennis Glazener. Then again, it might have been that second Manhattan.