Author Topic: Slug Gun Article (part 1)  (Read 21707 times)

Daryl

Re: Slug Gun Article (part 1)
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
This rifle is the style and action design I wished to build for myself - since about 1975, but never got 'around' to it.  I'd like to have one for round ball as well as 'picket' bullets.  I'm not really interested in paper patching, considering I was able to get grooved lubed bullets to group 1 moa consistantly from a  light-weight barrel, and that's the 'drift' I'd like to experiment with.  So much to do, so little time.

Offline Dan

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »
Daryl, there are many ways to skin the cat.  I was recently advised that my slug rifle build has been completed and it is a grease groove gun, .40 caliber.  Pecatonica action, MVA scope with tools.  Curiously, the longest part of the ordeal was getting a mould made, but it will be in my mitts soon.

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
Does the Pecatonica action look similar to what a flat-sided H&A action would look like?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:44:39 AM by Daryl »

westerner

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
Here's a rifle built on the Allen action supplied by Pecatonica.  A .40 slug gun I believe.

Joe,  :)

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
That one's sort of like the Wesson- close. There were several other mid-1800's percussion guns with that style 'action'.

Offline Dan

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »
Allen design as in the photo.

Offline Dan

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
Larry, got in touch with the Perry rifle owner and have forwarded his name and number to your BP Mag email address.  He'd be pleased to talk to you about it.

Dan

Gary

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
Do let us know when Part 2 is published.

Those slug guns are amazing.  According to Stevens, they hit men at one mile's distance.

I remember reading about one company of sharpshooters, the Second Andrew, had to carry theirs at the Battle of Hanover Court House.  They parted with their target guns after Malvern Hill.  Some thieving soldiers stole their knapsacks that contained all their accoutrements.  Afterward, they were equipped with Sharps Rifles.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
Do let us know when Part 2 is published.

Those slug guns are amazing.  According to Stevens, they hit men at one mile's distance.

. . . . . snipped. . . .

Part 2 has been up since Oct 19. You may have missed a note posted on Oct 19.  By now its on page 2, I think.

The article is called "Blackpowder Slug Guns - The Mitchell Gun" and is second in the list of "Featured Articles" below the Conner Prairie article.

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:57:18 PM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

westerner

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
Larry- good article- excellent pictures.  Is the shooter using a rear bag or is the stock resting on an adjustable rest of some sort like a return to battery rest.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »
Daryl,
The shooter doesn't use a rear sand bag.  He is allowed a glove, and the gun stock has a bottom flat that rests on the glove.  In the Part 1 article there is a pic that shows a glove laying on a bench.  I don't think I have a pic that shows a shooter from the side - with the glove showing.  I'll look though.

Found one.  Heres a pic showing the glove one shooter used.

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:11:14 AM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

westerner

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
You lost me on the leather glove and flat bottom stock Pletch.  I went to the NMLRA rules page ( PDF )  but didnt find anything.  What am I overlooking?  My Slug gun does not have the flat bottom buttstock. Also I see the rifles in the article sitting on machine rests similar to the old rests. One near the muzzle and another  under the barrel just forward of the breech .

Is there a equipment rule I'm not seeing?

Joe.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:34 AM »
I hope this makes sense.  The shooter has the glove on his left hand and lays it palm down under the stock.  The stock rests on the back of his glove.  Elevation is adjusted for the most part by raising or lowering the front rest.  Minor changes can be done by the gloved hand.

I'm sorry I don't have a pic looking at a shooter from the right hand side.  I'm look again to make sure.

I just spoke with George and verified that the description above was correct.  I also made additions and a correction to the article after speaking with him.  The barrel charge is 300 grains of fg Goex.  (I had 350 gr.) The barrel twist is 1 in 28" and rifling is .004" deep.

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:42:14 AM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Daryl

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
TKS for the glove explanation, Rich.   The glove pictured is a normal 3-position glove.  They are well padded - wool felt in many of them - in mine, at least.  I hadn't thought of that method of holding the rear of the stock - would work well with heavy gopher guns too.

westerner

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
The glove description is easy to understand. 

What I still dont understand is,  NMLRA rules concerning rifle rests.  I went through the rules and can find no mention of a glove or any mention of rests.

I have a glove. Not sure if I want the sharp point of my stock setting on my hand when fired, even when protected by a glove.  Even at 60 pounds the rifle still recoils back. With the heavy bullets and heavy powder charges it recoils quiet a bit. This glove /rest style is something I'll have to try. 

Joe.

Daryl

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:07 AM »
Joe- the rifle pictured, which rests on the hand, has a flat bottom.
The point of a normal ML isn't what would rest on the hand, but the angled bottom of the butt.  The hand can easily be rotated move fore or aft to give a variety of heights for minor elevaton correction.  I'm going to try it next time.

westerner

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
I think it would work if I can make a fist Daryl.  Dont think so with my hand flat on the bench. 

Joe.