Author Topic: Were to find a very hard plain maple blank with good grain thru the wrist  (Read 7910 times)

Offline marcusb

I am looking for a maple blank for a hunting rifle project. Something with a 7/8ths barrel channel 42" long. I am not real concerned about figure, I just want very good grain thru the wrist and about as hard as maple can get. Is there a vendor out there that could fill that order? I have seen several precarve stocks in person and the grain runout and seemingly soft wood makes me nervous to buy without seeing pics etc.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:44:00 AM by marcusb »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Were to find a very hard plain maple blank with good grain thru the wrist
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
Wayne Dunlap,Tiger hunt and others that advertise in all the major trade mags.   Gary

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »
Freddie Harrison, look him up on the internet.  He is a great person to deal with.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:18:36 PM »
Call Dick at Pecatonica.  They are also a good sourse for blanks or stocks.

Keith Lisle

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »
Second on Freddie Harrison - he gets more stump maple than anyone I know of - makes for ideal grain structure through the wrist.  If you do a search of the archives I know his contact information has been posted a few times - I don't have it available at the moment.

Guy

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
I agree that Freddie Harrison  is most likely to have what you desire.
Gene

g rummell

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
Tiger Hunt Maple, awesome wood.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
I usually buy them 3 at a time from Dunlap.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
I would reconsider your "very hard - as hard as I can get" maple stock because it just MIGHT be VERY brittle.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
Most stock blanks are plenty strong.  With a 7/8" barrel it should be a pretty light gun, low recoil, so as long as you don't fall out of a tree stand or off a horse, it's fairly hard to break a stock.  When a barrel is heavy it puts a lot of leverage on the wrist.  Hence the long tangs and double bolts on Hawkens.
Andover, Vermont

keweenaw

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »
Are you looking for a blank or for a precarved blank?  Freddie and Wayne sell blanks only and you can be sure that anything they sell you will have quite acceptable  grain flow.  I much prefer to pick my own blanks as some are better than others.  Once you have a good blank you can have someone run it for you if you don't want to do all the work by hand.  You'll have much less control over the entire process if you simply buy a precarved blank.  Like you I've seen some that were terrible with regard to grain flow.  Freddie has more quarter sawn blanks than Wayne has, at least in high grades.  That said, I buy most of my blanks from Wayne because he has a lot more selection at Friendship or other shows.

Tom 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
It's nice if the grain flows perfectly down the wrist, but it's not a requirement in a decent piece of wood.  As long as the grain isn't too out of whack, things will likely be just fine. 

Offline marcusb

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I spoke with both Fred and Wayne about what I was looking for
Both seemed very knowlegable and felt they have what  I am looking for.
I was not aware that hard maple became brittle, thats good to know. My grain worries come from experience making wood bows, that teaches you how important grain orientation is, especially when you start getting into thin sections such as wrists. I guess I should clarify hardeness, the rifles I have and the precarves I have handled seem to have fairly soft wood, dents easy similar to walnut, light brush of a fingernail and I have a line.
I am looking for a blank, I found precarves hard to hold and limiting what I can do. Also it seems like they all look the same if that makes sense.

I am going to go with Fred for this blank, after speaking to him on the phone. I really appreciate the input and advice.

I do have a question, would plain or quartersawn make a diffrence in strength of the stock?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:31:52 PM by marcusb »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »
You won't run into problems with the wood being brittle if it comes from Freddie.  The only wood I've come across that was so hard as to be somewhat brittle was from up North in Michigan.  I still love this type of wood in that it can be carved to very fine detail.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
The hardest piece of maple I've ever acquired came from our own Acre Sacc-o-rum - Tom Curran.  It is going on a .62 cal S. Hawken currently on the bench.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

keweenaw

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
Plain or quarter sawn   make little difference unless the grain flow is wrong on the quarter sawn.  Freddie cuts quarter sawn pieces out of stumps so the flow of the grain almost exactly follows the wrist line.  Many of these pieces have good figure in the butt and his less expensive pieces of these stump cut pieces have the figure kinda fading out as you go up the blank.  His really good ones will have tight curl all the way up.

Tom

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
Glad you've found a source for your stock blank Marcus.

Dancy

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
Freddie's are kind of expensive for the level of grain you get....but he has to dig out under the stump before he cuts it to get that great grain flow through the wrist and is a lot of work for him. Talked with him about it at the Tennessee show last year. I think it is worth the extra cost to me.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »
I would reconsider your "very hard - as hard as I can get" maple stock because it just MIGHT be VERY brittle.

Its possible but not likely to have brittle maple. Hard maple that has not been damaged by wind, felling etc or improperly dried, is very tough, thats why its used for bowling pins and more recently baseball bats.

I like HARD maple not Red. The harder, denser it is the smoother the cuts will be.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine