Author Topic: Choking shotgun barrel  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
Choking shotgun barrel
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:33 PM »
I have a guy wanting me to build him a double barreled shotgun,but he wants the barrels to have an improved and a modified choke.I tried to explain the problem that he might have with loading the wadding,but he swears that wouldn`t be a big deal.He will not go with a jug choke either.Do any of you guys know of anyone that can choke a barrel like this without using the ugly screw in type?

Thanks,
Mike

doug

Re: Choking shotgun barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:10 AM »
     Why don't you use a set of salvage cartridge barrels to start with.  Chose some with the appropriate chokes already in them

cheers Doug

roundball

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:36:12 AM »

He will not go with a jug choke either

My guess is he has no experience with them...I have some Jug Choked 'Full' and one Jugged Imp.Cyl.PLUS...as you probably know, they're simply fantastic, easy to load, very effective, etc.

Sam Everly

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
Mike, contact ole Lost Cause Rice (L.C) I bet he knows some one .

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:46:42 AM »
Sam, I will give L.C. a call tomorrow.I talked to his big brother(Liston)today but he did not know of anybody.
L.C. knows people that don`t even exist,so maybe he can come up with someone.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:24 AM »
 i have made  several SXS   from cartridge barrels  that had  full and modified chokes . No real issue loading them .
 You do have to use soft wads and such . But no real issue
  I would agree that  if he doesn’t want Jug choking , its probably because he doesn’t understand it
 Tell him you will do early screw ins.  LOL
 that way he can work out his own level of choke  when ever he wants

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 05:23:35 AM »
Colerain makes full choked turkey barrels, but they are too long for a double.  Call and see if they can make you a pair of shorter ones.  You can always hone the choke to give the desired diameter you want.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

omark

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:50 AM »
do screw in chokes that dont stick out, like rem-chokes.    mark

Offline v308

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:41 AM »
Might want to give Ed Rayl a call, he has made some sets of double barrels, including breeches. Don't know if he keeps any in stock?

keweenaw

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »
It's obvious the customer doesn't understand jug choking.  Time for some education.

Tom

omark

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:12:28 PM »
about what does it cost to get a jug choke?    mark

billd

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »
Check Caywood's web site.   $75 or $95 for single barrels.

Bill

roundball

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
Caywoo9d Jugged my new .62cal Rice smoothbore...think it was $90...works perfectly...and as advertised, PRB accuracy is excellent as well

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 04:13:14 AM »
I have a SXS 16ga that David Dodds made for me that has .0010 choke in the right barrel with the left barrel cyl bore and Ed Rayle made these. David insisted that the right barrel be the choked side since it was easier to reach up and back the right side hammer for a second shot as opposed to reaching over the lock to back the left side. A little research of early English SXS's will show that the right barrel was usually the choked side, and not the left side.

omark

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 06:00:45 AM »
thanks for the prices, guys.   mark

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
I have a SXS 16ga that David Dodds made for me that has .0010 choke in the right barrel with the left barrel cyl bore and Ed Rayle made these. David insisted that the right barrel be the choked side since it was easier to reach up and back the right side hammer for a second shot as opposed to reaching over the lock to back the left side. A little research of early English SXS's will show that the right barrel was usually the choked side, and not the left side.

I always cock both barrels, as was done in the 'old days'.  If the locks are properly made and adjusted, they will never 'double'.