Author Topic: Oxidizing cherry  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Mike C

Oxidizing cherry
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:07:44 AM »
Does anyone have a qick and reliable recipe to oxidize American cherry?
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Oxidizing cherry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:38 AM »
I think people have been using a solution of lye disolved in water.  That's what I did once.
DMR

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:13 AM »
E Z Off oven cleaner
Has lye in it.  Spray it on and wash it off - works fast
Its all I use on cherry now.  Can't find lye at the store anymore cause of the meth heads cooking meth with it. Guess its of the market.  Test it on some scrap........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:53:01 AM »
Lye will give you a bright red color.  Is that what you really want?  If you put one coat of boiled linseed oil on your cherry stock and then wait a few days before putting your varnish on you will have a very nice reddish brown color that will make the stock appear aged.  It will deepen with age and look richer as it goes along.  Do you really want bright red?
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
I don't get bright red - mine turns out a deep rich dark redish brown.  The longer you leave on the lye (ez off), the darker it gets.

A freind of mine uses the boiled oil method to finish his cherry furniture.  It starts out red and slowly darkens over time.  Days, weeks and months sometimes to get that rich red brown color.  I like to get the color a little faster ;)
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Dave Faletti

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »
I put my stock out in the sun after the linseed oil and it darkens fairly quick.  I haven't tried it but a black light or other UV source (tanning bed?) might do it a lot quicker.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I too use EZ Off oven cleaner and get a beautiful reddish brown. Not sure where the bright red comes from.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »
You can order Lye from The Science Company online. It woeks very well and you should experiment with different strength solutions to find the color your want. It gives a deeper looking color than just the linseed oil. You can seal it with garnet shellac to add even more color depth.m then fionish with oil varnish.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:04:27 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Mike check out my old post that I did on my Wifes cherry stock.
I think it is like my #73 post on my profile.

My application of lye is pretty straight forward, I whiskered the stock once and then took 3 tablespoons of 100% lye to 1 quart of water and mixed well outside.  Gets warm and fumes a bit.  Then I just took a soaked rag and washed it all over in the longest strokes I could to avoid any overlaps,  Sopping wet everywhere.  I let it sit for 20 minutes and really rinsed with a garden hose.  Thats all I did with it.  My 10 minute soak test piece is lighter in color than my 20, I preferred the 20, but don't forget it will probably darken with age like Robby suggested. Oh yea wear gloves I was in a hurry and didn't.  Although my hands are cleaner today than they have been in many, many years.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/bdixon66/Cherry/DSC04031.jpg
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/bdixon66/Cherry/DSC04030.jpg

Brett.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:03:34 PM by bdixon66 »

Offline Joey R

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
Mike, I told you that the answers are here, lot's of 'em.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
Mike, I have had good results with aqua fortis. Depending on the particular piece of cherry, it can turn it a very sooty looking black, but have no fear, you can rub it back with steel wool to the desired shade of aged cherry that suits you. If you have a scrap from the stock you are using, that would be a good test piece. Natural aging of cherry is pretty fast, just leave it in the sun, even indoors it will turn. One picture shown is of a stock that was a pale pink and has already developed color with minimal exposure. The other is one treated with aqua fortis, and rubbed back.

Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »
LOVE the bottom guncolor! I've been a furniture re-finisher my whole life and on cherry,I like potasium permaginate,purple crystals. I use to get it at sears for a water softener my Dad had.Dixie gun works also had a product call "Old Bones" that worked too. I think that was mixed P/P.(not pee-pee!) It does fade in time,but by the time it does,the cherry has already done it's thing. Although after seeing the color Robby got with A/F,I may try that on my next Cherry gun!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 07:00:10 AM »
Okay,
I stand corrected.  The household lye must not have been left on long enough on the one I saw done that way and I made an assumption.
Even so I really like the way Linseed oil darkens cherry.  I like cherry a little brighter than the example done with AF.  But then that is just my taste. 
In fact, I like the way cherry looks when left in the sun to age naturally.  It is a lovely wood and really does not need much in the way of enhancement.  Just like a truely lovely woman doesn't need paint!  Hee! Hee!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

westerner

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Does anyone have a qick and reliable recipe to oxidize American cherry?
Mike C

When I read that the first time it reminded me of a oxidized plank I have drying. It's almost a white chalky oxidation.

Oh, red, Duh.   ::)

Joe.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:35 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I have a good supply of scraps to experiment with.
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln