Author Topic: My Lehigh Valley Rifle  (Read 13445 times)

g rummell

My Lehigh Valley Rifle
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
This is my favorite rifle to date. I finished her up about a year or so ago.

Rasch Chronicles

Re: My Lehigh Valley Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »
Now that's a real beauty! How is she finished?

Regards,
Albert “Why am I in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

g rummell

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:37:22 AM »
Now that's a real beauty! How is she finished?

Regards,
Albert “Why am I in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

Stained and then many, many coats of hand rubbed teak oil.

roamer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:45:22 AM »
WOW

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:04:37 AM »
I kinda like those Lehigh guns and yours is a looker, nice job.    Gary

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »
Beautiful gun! I really like it.
Mark Thomas

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
     Very nice. You did a real nice job on the carving.    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
I like it a lot.  Nice mellow colors, the carving reminds me of one of my favorites, a smooth rifle I got to see at Dixon's.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
shes a beauty. I like the finish
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
I really like your rifle. Granted, that comes from someone who is not in anyway knowledgeable re Lehighs.
But to my eye youhave captured the look. But..the box lid grabs my eye as belonging on a different gun.
Something  a little more subtle, less massive, thinner brass end- but then I've already admitted that I don't know very much! ;D 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
You have built a very lovely rifle Mr. Rummel.  Can you tell us something about it...barrel, calibre, etc.  You can be justifiably proud of her.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

g rummell

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
You have built a very lovely rifle Mr. Rummel.  Can you tell us something about it...barrel, calibre, etc.  You can be justifiably proud of her.

.40  caliber Getz swamped barrel, Chambers large Siler lock, the wood came from Tiger Hunt Maple here in Pa. and Fred Miller did the barrel and ramrod channels. I used a combination of LM stains,Honey Maple, followed by a darker Walnut, and then the last coat was Cherry. Worked the stain down with 0000 steel wool in the high wear areas and then put on 6 coats of teak oil. After the teak oil dryed I lightly sanded with 0000 steel wool, airbrushed a little flat black paint in the low wear areas and then followed up with 6 more coats of teak and some gunstock wax.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:38:38 PM by G. Rummell »

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:19 AM »
I'll second Bob Miller's concerns about the patchbox, maybe a bit oversized and placed a little off where my eyes expect it to be. Seems to ride a bit high towards the top of the buttplate. That being said ,  she's still a beauty.

g rummell

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
I really like your rifle. Granted, that comes from someone who is not in anyway knowledgeable re Lehighs.
But to my eye youhave captured the look. But..the box lid grabs my eye as belonging on a different gun.
Something  a little more subtle, less massive, thinner brass end- but then I've already admitted that I don't know very much! ;D 

It's funny the way everything looks fine to me until someone mentions something then it hits me in the front of the head like a hammer. You guys are right, it does look a little bulky, however, that's one thing that's easy enough to correct. Thanks Bob and Tom, I appreciate the input and I got it on my to do list.

greybeard

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
WOW!!  My what a beauty.  Beautifull carving & finish.  Makes me just a bit envious.
That being said , the box lid does look a bit odd. What I do is draw an element on the stock   in the white and bring it in the house and put it atop the entertainment center so I can eyeball it during the ads..All  of a sudden something will jump out to your eye and you will think " What was I thinkin".  My shop is only bout 8 + 10 and what looks good in there looks good till you take a longer gander at it. Also it's a good idea to view it in a mirror and things will show up that you didn't see before.  All in all you have a beautifull rifle gun there . Cheers    Bob

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:54 AM »
Really a fine gun! Beautiful and careful work. I was reluctant to say something about the lid also,but my thoughts reflect what others have said. Can't wait to see her after the "fix"
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

g rummell

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »
Really a fine gun! Beautiful and careful work. I was reluctant to say something about the lid also,but my thoughts reflect what others have said. Can't wait to see her after the "fix"

Don't be reluctant, that's why I posted the pics, to get some feedback.

Gary

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »
Reluctant because I'm humbled by the work you fellas are doing here! Really really inspiring! My next project is a Lehigh Valley and your gun has lit the fire under me to finish up the two on the bench already! The Lehigh will have a 44" "D" weight Colrain .54cal barrel. Will post as work progresses.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

flintman-tx

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 04:08:04 AM »
Nice work. You are well on your way. Congratulations!

marc

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »
Beautiful job. I love the color of the stain, and the carving is just superb. She can hang out over my mantle anytime...

Marc

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 05:36:58 AM »
G Rummel, I don't usually post criticism unless some one asks for it, but it seems like you are encouraging different comments and opinions.

So here goes. On an exceptionally nice gun such as this one, there are a few things that stand out as not quite right to my eye.

One thing that bothers me is the black/dark staining. If you look at the patchbox side of the butt, the dark along the butt end is not carried onto the patchbox. It does not make sense that the edges of the patchbox have no dark, or that the butt is too dark. The dark looks too 'sprayed on' to  my eye. It doesn't look natural to me, but maybe if it were rubbed back a bit, it would look more blended, like oxidized varnish, or dirt of the ages.

Another thing is the thickness of the edges of the brass...it's way too thick. The edges of the guard should almost be knife edge thin, and the exposed brass on the edge of the buttplate should be very thin as well. Patchbox endplate suffers from the same thicknbess.

On the other hand, your carving looks very good, just right for a Lehigh. Stock shape is very good, too. I am going to try my hand at a Lehigh, and I can only hope to do it as well as you did. Keep up the fine work.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

g rummell

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
All comments are welcome, good or bad.
That's how I plan on perfecting my craft.  :)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
It's really good you are willing to hear suggestions.  We all should be open to this sort of thing.  One thing to consider is the shape of the lock and sideplate panels.  To my eye, they would look a bit better if they tapered a bit more (less wood along edges of lock) and didn't come to a point quite so radically.  Along these lines, I think it is often best to not have the tail end come to an abrupt point but rather have it end in a bit of a radius.  I've not focused on Lehigh rifles, but would suggest looking at as many originals as possible to see how areas such as this are often handled.

As has been mentioned, you have done many things well and should be really proud of your work. 

-Jim
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:33:52 PM by Jim Kibler »

g rummell

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »
It's really good you are willing to hear suggestions.  We all should be open to this sort of thing.

I believe that's what this forum is all about, sharing ideas and giving constructive feedback. I want to optimize the talent that the good Lord gave me and that will never happen if  I am  close minded and think everything I do is perfect. If I wasn't willing to listen to my mentor (Wayne Watson) I'd still be building wooden clubs with a barrel.  ;)   I'm always open to any honest feedback. Doesn't mean I always agree with it, LOL, but non the less I'm open.

Thanks,
Gary