Author Topic: double barrel flintlock shotgun  (Read 12922 times)

camerl2009

double barrel flintlock shotgun
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
ok so im trying to make some double barrel flintlock shotguns
but have hit a dead end what to use for the barrel
ive heard that seamless tubing of some sort will work
but dont know what kind  ???

keweenaw

Re: double barrel flintlock shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:35:23 PM »
Seamless tubing is not necessarily a good idea as it isn't all truly seamless. and besides it's a big job to make two identical and appropriately profiled barrels from straight tubes.   The choices generally fall between recycling an old set of barrels from a percussion gun, using a set of cartridge barrels after cutting off the chambers, or buying some new barrels.  The cartridge barrels typically aren't a good choice as they end up too short unless you can find a 32" set to start with.  Recycled percussion barrels that have good enough bores to use can be hard to find, but not impossible.  The Belgian barrels, which are most of the ones you're likely to encounter, are brazed so you aren't going to be able to take them apart hence you're stuck with whatever top rib they have.  Ed Rayl make nice shotgun barrels.  You can either buy a set from him or buy two tubes and put them together yourself.  If your time is worth anything you'll be better off buying barrels from Ed rather than profiling them yourself.

Tom

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
Seamless tubing is not necessarily a good idea as it isn't all truly seamless. and besides it's a big job to make two identical and appropriately profiled barrels from straight tubes.   The choices generally fall between recycling an old set of barrels from a percussion gun, using a set of cartridge barrels after cutting off the chambers, or buying some new barrels.  The cartridge barrels typically aren't a good choice as they end up too short unless you can find a 32" set to start with.  Recycled percussion barrels that have good enough bores to use can be hard to find, but not impossible.  The Belgian barrels, which are most of the ones you're likely to encounter, are brazed so you aren't going to be able to take them apart hence you're stuck with whatever top rib they have.  Ed Rayl make nice shotgun barrels.  You can either buy a set from him or buy two tubes and put them together yourself.  If your time is worth anything you'll be better off buying barrels from Ed rather than profiling them yourself.

Tom
ive heard all that before and i know the guys at friendship make shotgun with this tubing
i cant have the barrels of a modern gun why hard to get up here no supplyers of barrel blanks here

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »
If you put an add in the buy and sell forum, for a pair of good barrels, I'm pretty sure someone will have a set to sell you.  I've got a pile of them myself.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
i cant have the barrels of a modern gun why hard to get up here no supplyers of barrel blanks here
Where is UP HERE?
Any of the barrel makers can send you barrels as easily as you can get tubing shipped.

Here's where some of those guys who use tubing get it from.

http://www.admiralsteel.com/products/tubing.html
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

camerl2009

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »
Where is UP HERE?
Any of the barrel makers can send you barrels as easily as you can get tubing shipped.

Here's where some of those guys who use tubing get it from.

http://www.admiralsteel.com/products/tubing.html

ontario canada
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:02:17 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »

Mike Brooks as i recall has some  percussion barrel sets  up for sale a while back
As to  using cartridge barrels .
  Depending on  how correct you are trying to get , you can run into an issue with the center rib .
 This can be worked around though by milling or filing OR one can make a new center rib .
  As was said  Brazing was common for the later Belgium pieces . But even those center ribs can be removed with some work . Which by the way Imo is a lot easier then  building a new barrel set and regulating it .
As to the length issue of these barrels .
  If you cut the chambers back , you can end up with a short barrel .
 But if you build longer improved breech’s ,  .you wont
  This however isn’t going to get you a 36 - 42 inch barrel set .
So again it boils down to what your wanting to do .
  Ed Rayl does make some darn nice barrel sets  so that’s also a good option

camerl2009

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

Mike Brooks as i recall has some  percussion barrel sets  up for sale a while back
As to  using cartridge barrels .
  Depending on  how correct you are trying to get , you can run into an issue with the center rib .
 This can be worked around though by milling or filing OR one can make a new center rib .
  As was said  Brazing was common for the later Belgium pieces . But even those center ribs can be removed with some work . Which by the way Imo is a lot easier then  building a new barrel set and regulating it .
As to the length issue of these barrels .
  If you cut the chambers back , you can end up with a short barrel .
 But if you build longer improved breech’s ,  .you wont
  This however isn’t going to get you a 36 - 42 inch barrel set .
So again it boils down to what your wanting to do .
  Ed Rayl does make some darn nice barrel sets  so that’s also a good option

well i want to make my barrels im getting the book Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun
getting barrels shiped here is a pain but i can ship a flintlock any where in north america
here in canada any new made( made affter 1897) percussion muzzleloader is a modern gun

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:02:05 AM »
ok so im trying to make some double barrel flintlock shotguns
but have hit a dead end what to use for the barrel
ive heard that seamless tubing of some sort will work
but dont know what kind  ???

There is no seamless tubing or seamed tubing or any other drawn tubing that is suitable for gun barrels. No matter who may have used it in the past.
If you are building DB shotguns you need

"Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun"  by William R. Brockway

This will give you some information on barrels.
I would recommend that you not use damascus since many of the cheap damascus guns imported were made with very poor material. The better barrels are on Parkers and English guns that as too valuable to scavenge barrels from.

There are also barrel makers that can make barrels that are not made for tubing.
Considering the thickness of the barrels in the typical DB shotgun I would recommend a hot rolled steel with a minimum of lead, phosphous and sulfur added. Low carbon is best. plain carbon steel of the 11xx series steels with carbon over .2-.3 may cause problems if the gun is used extensively.
Ed Rayle makes double barrel sets IIRC.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:30 AM »
getting barrels shiped here is a pain but i can ship a flintlock any where in north america
here in canada any new made( made affter 1897) percussion muzzleloader is a modern gun

Until they are breeched and mounted on a gun, they are just tubes.  They are neither percussion nor flint.

I suspect that you are set on making your own barrels rather than buying them, because it is not a problem  Are you a machinist and do you have a fully equipted shop?  If not, you've got an impossible row to how making your own double.  Many have aspired to do so.....few have succeeded.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
I posted a few sets of barrels for sale in the appropriate forum.  I acquired all of these with making muzzle loading shotguns in mind.
D. Taylor Sapergia

camerl2009

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:22 AM »

Until they are breeched and mounted on a gun, they are just tubes.  They are neither percussion nor flint.

I suspect that you are set on making your own barrels rather than buying them, because it is not a problem  Are you a machinist and do you have a fully equipted shop?  If not, you've got an impossible row to how making your own double.  Many have aspired to do so.....few have succeeded.

lol im not a machinist you dont need a mill and lathe to make a muzzleloader hand tools and a drill press is what i got i it can be done.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 02:15:38 AM »
I see that you are in Ontario, as am I. I don't have any trouble getting any parts I need, including barrels, lock parts etc. Longhammock in Florida made some custom barrels for me, so you could contact them as well. Peter Alexander lives about an hour or so from me, and last I heard he was working on a double flinter.  I think he had Ed Rayle supply the barrels. He might be a source for advice along the way.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 03:49:37 AM »
 A friend of mine has one.   They do  look good don't they?

The Pistol Shooter

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »
Thanks for that pic Frizzen...nice gun.
D. Taylor Sapergia