Author Topic: Ebony-like Finish on Stocks  (Read 5860 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Ebony-like Finish on Stocks
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
Gentlemen,

The post on ebony ramrods got me thinking. (Always dangerous to myself and others)

I have seen antique rifles with an almost black color to them. I doubt that they where ebony, but I am pretty sure that they were about coal black. I was wondering (Due to my ignorance on the subject.) if this was a finish that was commonly used.  If so, where/when would the appropriate time frame for such firearms.

I remember thinking that the rifles were very attractive.

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: Best Boar Hunting Calibers

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Ebony-like Finish on Stocks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:20 PM »
Gentlemen,

The post on ebony ramrods got me thinking. (Always dangerous to myself and others)

I have seen antique rifles with an almost black color to them. I doubt that they where ebony, but I am pretty sure that they were about coal black. I was wondering (Due to my ignorance on the subject.) if this was a finish that was commonly used.  If so, where/when would the appropriate time frame for such firearms.

I remember thinking that the rifles were very attractive.

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus!” Rasch

It is my understanding that its the linseed oil/oil varnish being darkened by exposure to sulfur in the air from the massive amounts of coal burnt in the east in the 19th & 20th centuries.
The stock was not that color when new and rifles in the west where the air was much cleaner are not that dark. So making decisions based on the color of surviving stock finish can be misleading.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I was thinking about where I had seen it while driving the perimeter road out here at Shindand. If I remember the example that sticks out in my mind, it was a wheel-lock.

It's tough to pull all that stuff out of the synapses without suffering a stroke!LOL!

I'm going to have to experiment with that idea and see what comes of it.

Regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Range Reviews: Tactical

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
Hi Albert,
Dan is correct about linseed oil finishes.  They can turn very dark over time but ebonized finishes were also used particularly during the 16th and 17th centuries.  Usually the finish hid light colored fruitwood and offered a stunning backdrop for bone, mother of pearl and metal inlay.  In addition, some utility and military guns were painted black.  For example, I think British sea service muskets during the mid-1700s were often painted black.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Rasch, on a wheel lock especially a pistol very well may have been ebony, no totally uncommon for that era sidearm. when you start talking about American stocked pieces pretty much no chance they are ebony, although some military weapons from the Americas or the old work used asphalt on their naval pieces during certain eras, which gave a black appearance but wouldn't look like ebonized wood but rather wood that had asphalt smathered on it
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:17:35 AM »
Smathered?

I will add that to my dickshunary.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »
I'm wondering if you might be thinking of this little number.  This wheellock is stocked in African ebony.  It's murder to work...very hard and brittle...takes the edge off a chisel right now.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
Hi,
I always love seeing pictures of that pistol Taylor.  It is a beauty.  Ebony was used but mainly for pistols.  I think the tree generally does not get very large even as old-growth and cutting out a large stock blank was difficult and rare even in the 17th century.  Hence, some makers "ebonized" other wood to make rifle stocks that were absolutely stunning.   

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »
Very rarely, a Kentucky Rifle will turn up with some ebony inlays, or molding trim. Saw one at Vegas a few years back. It was a Moll, almost new and had silver wire inlays along with the ebony. No carving though. I have seen one or two others, but this was the best of all. I think that all were NE PA guns.
Dick

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
DTS,

Yes I believe that was it! It certainly is a beuty isn't it!

Non-TraditionalI of course, but I was just mulling over the idea of taking plain walnut and ebonizing it, along with rust bluing all the furniture, lock, and barrel. With silver accents, it would be very attractive me thinks!

Thanks for all the insight and comments! I really appreciate everyone taking time to answer, and help me expand my knowledge in the field!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus!” Rasch

keweenaw

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
In the 18 teens Manton and other English makers stocked some pieces in bird's eye maple with a black ebonized finish.  The color is mostly in the finish.  Some Huntingdon Co. gunsmiths like Stapleton used what is termed black violin varnish on their work.  Again the color is all in the varnish.

Tom