Author Topic: Experiment with cherry  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Experiment with cherry
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
Noticed the topic on oxidizing cherry and thought I would show you a stain I am experimenting with.

My son-in-law ran across (not sure where) the idea of using acorn water as a stain but he didn't remember what wood! He mixed me a batch of pin oak acorns for Christmas year before last, then forgot to give it to me. Last year he gave it to me at Christmas but I forgot about it until about a month ago. I had just finished a little cherry stocked .32 squirrel rifle for myself and decided to try something. I had planned (still do) to antique the rifle so why not try the acorn water stain. I did and here is what it looks like now:

I thought I would see how the light would act on the stain (cherry normally darkens with use) then I would do the Mike Brooks spray paint trick on it if it didn't turnout dark like I wanted it. Haven't had it out much so sunlight hasn't hit it. If we get some decent sunny days I will lay it out and see what happens.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Experiment with cherry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
Nice color Dennis.   I am going to get some bone meal and char it and use it to antique the next one I do.  The spray rustoleum works but it still scares me!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
Tim, I'm sure you won't be a foolish as me, because I made the mistake of using my kitchen stove to char the bone meal,,,,, Man, What a terrific stink!!
Good thing I don't have a wife, because if I did, after that stink I probably wouldn't! ;D
John
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:38:10 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:08:13 AM »
Nice color Dennis.   I am going to get some bone meal and char it and use it to antique the next one I do.  The spray rustoleum works but it still scares me!!!
Never tried rustoleum, to expensive ;D I buy the .99 flat black. Worked great on the one I did.

Al Edge gave me some Black and earth colored tempera paint. I tried it on an original that needed a touch up and it worked good. One of these days I may try it on a complete gun. Needs to be put on when the finish is still tacky.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

FG1

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:32:41 AM »
Dennis , what did he use with the shells to make the stain ?

FG1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
 ??? ???

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Dennis , what did he use with the shells to make the stain ?[/img] He left them on and when he went to "bottle" it, strained them out. Stinking stuff!
Dennis