Author Topic: Patch Box Release on Modena Hawken  (Read 4422 times)

TwoBlades

Patch Box Release on Modena Hawken
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
I'm considering installing a Modena style patch box on my next build, but I have a question about the release.  I ordered the box from Muzzleloader Builder Supply.  It came with a cam style release. 

Is that correct for the Modena Hawken?  I can't tell from the pictures that I can look at.  I definitely don't see a release button, and the butt plate appears to be notched for the lid.  The other pictures of Hawken Mountain Rifles with a similar box show a push button in the toe plate.

If you've handled the Modena Rifle or noticed this detail can you please advise me?

Thanks,

Michael

Offline Dave B

Re: Patch Box Release on Modena Hawken
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
I have only seen pictures of the rifle but one of them shows the evidence of the cam bar riveted to the lid. I can't see a toe plate button standing proud in the photo. The rivets in the lid are solid evidence to my thinking of what the mechanism is. Just my two cents worth. Even so I would like to hear any thing that members have to say about the rifle who have held it. You cant have too much information about these great rifles.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/ModenaHawken.jpg
Dave Blaisdell

TwoBlades

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
Dave B,

Thanks for pointing out the rivet in the photo.  I never noticed that before.  It does appear  that the box uses a cam type of release, but I'd love to hear from someone who has handled the rifle or seen it up close.

Michael

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Why don't you give Jim Gordon a call, and discuss the rifle with him?  You could Google him and get his contact into, I think.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »
I haven't used it but I believe this is his number. I've been hanging onto it hoping one day to be able to buy his three volume set. 505-982-9667
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:24:22 PM by Capt. Fred »