Author Topic: Best source for taps and drills  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Best source for taps and drills
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
Hi:  I'm tired of trying to find the taps and more importantly the numbered drills at Ace ,Lowes, or Home Depot. What sources do you recommend for high quality drills and taps?

Offline Pete G.

Re: Best source for taps and drills
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »
Track of the Wolf and Muzzleloader Builder Supply both have to most common sizes used in gun building. They are just a mouse click and a short UPS ride away.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »
MSC and McMaster Carr work for me.  They have anything you would want.   As far as taps go, I don't think you can beet good quality two flute gun taps. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
MSCdirect.com
Get the print catalog.
I get stuff from the east in a day or two normal shipping.
Ordering some 1018 and reamers today expect the stuff by Friday.
Buy the made in use or name brand taps.
Note that some are material specific since some things, like stainless, need a different grind than for mild steel. All my 8x32s are for stainless and work OK for lockplates and such as well.
Posters here report MacMaster is good but I have never used them. Got in the MSC habit while working at Shiloh.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

paxtonboy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Best price Ive found for numbered drills and carbon tapered taps was from Midway USA, as far as steel stock I found MSC too expensive, Metals On Line was the best price and very quick shipping.    Scott

Offline Simon

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »
Brownells has a good selection of number drill. and taps in the  small sizes.  Their prices are less than the hardware store .  I got a 4-48 tap from them because I couldn,t  find it locally.  I ordered drill bits at the same time because of shipping.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
Here is a place I came across when ENCO had items I needed on back order.
http://www.biscotoolsupply.com/
I placed my order with them and was satisfied with their product, service and shipping.  I would not hesitate to give them another order.
DMR

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »
 I have found many odd tap & die sizes at a reasonable price at victor machine,and good prices on tooling. www.victornet.com/

coutios

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »
  Most of the big tool supply houses will be able to fill your needs. As was allready mentioned get a good quality product. With tooling its pay me now or cry about a chipped or broken tap later..

Regards
Dave

Offline blackdog

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
I buy all mine from Fastenal, many grades to choose from.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:18:31 PM by blackdog »
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »
Paxtonboy -

Welcome to ALR.  Historical reference from your neck of the woods.  You're out near JWH.  I'm surprised he hasn't commented.  He must not be mindin' the forum.
Kunk

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  Track is the obvious source, but I wanted to find the tool suppliers others use.  This is all good information.  I just get tired of trying to find something when something breaks (like a tap) and I need something fast.  I think that I'll just start stocking up on drills and taps.
Curt

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
Another advantage with MSC  is they generally give the tool or materials point of origin.
Since I buy drills, mills and taps from MSC I sometimes order other stuff as well.
Metal prices are scary. I ordered 5/16 by 2.5" mild steel from MSC and it was lot more than I thought, price is up from the catalog  ::)  But its FLAT AND SQUARE since its ground not rolled finish, for what I am using it for this is a plus. It could show up today though its shipped from the "far east" 1-2 day shipping from 1200-1400 miles away is a plus when I need something yesterday.
I used to buy brass from them since it was cheaper in 12x12 sheets than buying from ML suppliers. But Alcobra in Spokane is cheaper. I bought .040 x 12" one 36" and another 48" for 110 bucks but I picked it up while returning from the left coast.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
I prefer Greenfield tap and Die spiral point gun taps from MSC, TIN coated, ground threads. They are precise, durable and beautifully made. MSC also has occasional sales, so when you go to their website, look for their specials.

OSG is USA.
Niagara is USA.
The GTD taps are made in Japan.
Cleveland Forge cutting tools are Mexican made.
Most Enco stuff is Chinese.
Starrett is now branching out into foreign made, Brazil, Mexico, China, and still some USA.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mattdog

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »
Here's another vote for MSC.  I've been using them for many years.  I have their catalog.  It weighs about ten pounds and lists over one million items.  Advantage is that they carry products from different manufacturers that you can often compare side by side.  I just ordered $300.00 worth from them yesterday, it will be here in remote western Montana today.  

One caution:  they list drills/taps/mill bits etc. from overseas at extremely low cost.  Don't be tempted, you will be sorry in the long run.  Buy the USA made tooling.  I speak from unfortunate experience.

Matt  

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
I buy most of the taps and dies (also other supplies) for our university lab from Enco, though I have also dealt with some of the others listed here. You can pick whether you want import or Made in the USA stuff from Enco and the prices are generally pretty decent. Another plus is once you order from them they will send you sales flyers in the mail and they often have really good prices on these.

Another area that might have been mentioned is Ebay. I've bought a lot of tooling over the years this way and have gotten some really great deals, you won't always find exactly what you want at a price your willing to pay, but if you check frequently you'll get some great deals, particularly now since it is a buyers market.