Author Topic: Files  (Read 7011 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Files
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
I am going to buy some files for use on brass. Probably will order them from MSC (see link below) but before I do I have a couple of questions.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMCTLG=03&PMPAGE=1&cm_re=tpnv-_-splof-_-mwcat

Anyone know of better prices for mail order?

I have always bought mill files but noticed they sell flat files that MSC says remove metal faster. Should I buy flat or mill files for cleaning up brass castings?

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Kelhammer

Re: Files
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
http://www.falcontool.com/

Our tool room buys from these guys.  They sell many good files, and many other items for metal finish.  I contacted them by phone, told them I had a small gun shop, and wanted a catalog.  I had one at my front door just 2 days later. 

Files
Polish stones and paste
Gravers
Die Sinking Chisles

Not cheap $#@*, but tools that work like you know it should.

Andy

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
I don't worry so much about how fast I remove material as I do an even, smooth, clean cut. If you avoid deep cuts and scratches it makes finishing a lot faster.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
Just FYI the MSC Big Book has a great article on file types and uses at
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1033&PMITEM=80757339&PMCTLG=54

I have found that 10 inch smooth cut hand file removes brass pretty well without making gouges that are harder to remove when going to the small fine warding files for getting down to the smoothness in hard to reach areas that I can then finish with 1200 and 1500 grit sandpaper...... If the brass is soft, it tends to work easily with just about anything.

Don't know if that helps any Dennis
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
As was probably said many times, don't use  your "brass"  files on steel and  expect good results. I've got some coarse pillar files and double cuts  that cut brass extremely fast . If possible I only buy Nicholson files because some of the Chinese files are dull when purchased.....Fred

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
I have been happy with the Grobet files purchased from K &G finishing supplies.  This is a mom and pop operation which largely caters to knife making but they do stock files.    www.knifeandgun.com or orders at 1800 972-1192. 

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
Dennis

The hand files will cut faster and with sand castings there is often a large amount of material to be removed; wax castings not so much.  Mill files give a smoother finish.

Hand files have parrallel sides which sometimes helps, and one of the sides is safe.

I also only buy Nicholson files although some of the European files are also good.  The last Nicholson #49 rasps I got were made in Brazil!!  They cut all right.

You will also need some rat tail files and/or chain saw files and some half-rounds for curved surfaces.

Dave Dolliver

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:36:51 AM »
Fred,
As was probably said many times, don't use  your "brass"  files on steel and  expect good results. I've got some coarse pillar files and double cuts  that cut brass extremely fast . If possible I only buy Nicholson files because some of the Chinese files are dull when purchased.....Fred
Yes I know about using brass only on brass. Problem is I forget and use them on steel! That's why I need to buy more! I really need to paint them different colors. I keep them in the original packing and mark them but when they are not in the package I forget and use them!

Tim,
I have found that 10 inch smooth cut hand file removes brass pretty well without making gouges that are harder to remove when going to the small fine warding files for getting down to the smoothness in hard to reach areas that I can then finish with 1200 and 1500 grit sandpaper...... If the brass is soft, it tends to work easily with just about anything.
Yes that's a good description, thanks. I have been using 10 inch smooth cut Nicholson but was thinking about ordering a couple of second cut. Then read their blurb about mill files versus flat files and was curious to what others used.

1200/1500! Man I thought going to 600 was overdoing it! Of course I am building mountain rifles and most of them were finished only with a file!
Thanks
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:45:23 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »
Dave,
You will also need some rat tail files and/or chain saw files and some half-rounds for curved surfaces.
Yep, and I have bunches of them. Nothing works better for me on lock panels than a good sharp chain saw file.
Dennis

oldiemkr

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »
I agree with flehto to use some files on brass only, aluminum  too. Not much use for aluminum for longrifles though.

Another thing you should not do is throw all your files in a drawer. The constant contact isn't making them sharper. Keep them upright in a wooden holder of some kind or you can make some cardboard covers so they don't make contact.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:51:50 AM »
Dennis,

I had the same problem remembering which files were fair game for which materials.  I find as I get older, my memory is definitely not improving so I put black paint on the end of the handles on the files I use for ferrous metals.  Problem solved!  I also store each of my files in a section of soft clear plastic tubing - if I can find tubing that is large enough.  Very few don't have sleeves.

Yes - I am pretty anal about protecting my files  ;D

Laurie

Offline Artificer

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:25 AM »
Ah, files........ the opium for machinists and gun workers...... Grin.

I wrap my files in cardboard sleeves then wind masking tape around the sleeves.  Then I write on the tape what the file is for. 

One of my absolute favorite all around flat files is an 8" Nicholsen handy file you can buy in most any hardware store.  I try to keep one for wood, one for aluminum, one for brass, and for steel.  As one starts to go dull, I buy a new file and put it in the wood sleeve then transfer the files from wood to aluminum, aluminum to brass, etc. 

Gus

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
I have been happy with the Grobet files purchased from K &G finishing supplies.  This is a mom and pop operation which largely caters to knife making but they do stock files.    www.knifeandgun.com or orders at 1800 972-1192. 
Took a look at their website but nothing listed under files. May be a fluke for the website. I emailed them about the problem.

I would like to see the Grobet files, hear they are great and might try them if the price is not way out of line.
Dennis

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Grobets are lifetime tools. If you treat them well, keep them clean, and not all thrown in a drawer with other files. Uniform tooth height is very important on your final finishing, and in this the Grobets excel.

I think the finest I've ever used is a 4/0 swiss pattern, and that is pretty fine. my favorite all around is a 2/0, plenty rough for fast stock removal, but gives a pretty good finish, as in ready to switch to stones. Having a set of 4/0 would definitely save me time, but I'm too cheap to buy them.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

paxtonboy

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
Best Price on files,  found Nicholas files, the #49 and #50 cabinet for $29.00 to $34.00. www.JamestownDistributors.com    Scott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
Best Price on files,  found Nicholas files, the #49 and #50 cabinet for $29.00 to $34.00. www.JamestownDistributors.com    Scott
Yes, that's where I got my last set. Good price but few regular files.
Dennis