Author Topic: Chromium Trioxide  (Read 9476 times)

JOJU

Chromium Trioxide
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
Hello all my name is John from Michigan , new to the forum .
Has any one used chromium trioxide ?
Thanks John

Rasch Chronicles

Re: Chromium Trioxide
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »
For chrome plating or something else?

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Albert A Rasch In Afghanistan

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
It is a nice wood stain, I thing Dixie and Brownells sells it. But rather toxic!
Real bikes are kick-started....

JOJU

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
Sorry yes for stain on maple , I have had a bottle of it for years and not used it .
thanks JOHN

76 warlock

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
Yes, I have used it, I don't like the greenish color that it becomes after awhile. It is a mix of green and brown, but it does look very old when you are done.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
Yes, I have used it, I don't like the greenish color that it becomes after awhile. It is a mix of green and brown, but it does look very old when you are done.
CrO3 must be heated and nutralized like nitric acid in order to kill the chemical reaction and avoid the "pickle" look down the road.
DMR
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:40:40 PM by David Rase »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Hello all my name is John from Michigan , new to the forum .
Has any one used chromium trioxide ?
Thanks John

Almost everyone I have heard of using it wished they had not.

Ferric Nitrate is very color fast, easy to use, gives the right color, whats not to like?
Either made with nitric acid and iron or from buy ferric nitrate crystals.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
Use something else.  I've never seen a stock that didn't turn pickle green over the years with it.  There are just too many other stains to use that are predictable, stable, & easy to use.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
My advice:  STAY AWAY FROM IT!   Unless you like your gun to turn a "puke green" after a few years. :o  Neutralizing it will only slow the "green" process down a little.
Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
Joju,

Who ever suggested chromium trioxide to you as a stock stain is either very foolish, very ignorant or really *#)*^~ at you!

Chromium salts, including chromium trioxide, are generally very toxic.  Chromium attacks the central nervous system and produces symptoms similar to multiple sclerosis.  The damage is permanent - you don't get better!  Using the stuff exposes you to chromium toxicosis.

Chromium salts all progress to one of several chromium oxides when exposed to air.  All of the chromium oxides arebrown to green in color.  Most wood stained with chromium trioxide will eventually turn a nauseating green color.  This is not generally considered a desired result. it is up to you.

With such a long, successful history of the use of either acid/iron stains or commercially available pigment stains there is to my mind absolutely no justification for using chromium compounds - NONE!

This is serious stuff!  If you just ruin and expensive piece of wood you are getting off lucky!

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
Years ago, before the Internet and ALR was around to warn me, I built my first long rifle and used Chromium Trioxide from Dixie to stain the stock.  It really made the curl pop and the color is a nice medium brown.  As I recall, I didn't have to use heat but I did neutralize it with baking soda.

Twenty years or so later, I still have the rifle.  It's still a nice medium brown but it does show a very faint green cast when the sunlight hits it just right.  Actually, I like it....  but the stuff is very toxic, so I have been using aquafortis lately.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:50:44 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »
Yep I bought my first parts at Dixie back in the early 70's and that is what they gave me to color the stock. I just lost that rifle in a robbery a while back, it originally had a nice dark brown color but it also had developed a slight green tint after about 10 years or so.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:28 AM »
The color of "spent" chromium trioxide is grass green.

I used it in the lab to remove polyvinly chloride residue from laboratory glassware.  When the solution turned green you knew the acid was "spent" and would no longer work.  It then went into the hazmat waste drum.

When you use it as a stock stain it attacks the wood being a mineral acid.  A form of chemical charring of the wood.  In the process the acid becomes "spent".  It is almost impossible to remove all of the spent acid from the wood after staining.  A number of schemes to wash it out of the wood have been tried.

After the stock is coated with a finish the spent acid remaining in the wood will be carried to the "interface" between the finish and the wood.  Slowing forming a green film that coats the bottom of the finish.  The spent acid remaining water-soluble in the wood and thus is migratory with moisture changes in the wood.

E. Ogre

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »
CrO3 must be heated and nutralized like nitric acid in order to kill the chemical reaction and avoid the "pickle" look down the road.
DMR
[/quote]

Wow, that statement caused some unpleasant flashbacks!  My old man was on the puke-green kick from the 50's through the 70's - walls, kitchen cabinets, shag carpet, appliances, furniture were all puke-green.  In the 80's he got on the @#$%/!!-brown kick, everything in & on the new house was @#$%/!!-brown ... I always hated, and still do, both of those colors and envisioning a pickle-green flinter, all I can picture are those pickle-green laminates stock Remington seemed to think so highly of.......  Blah!   :P
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

JOJU

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:55 AM »
Boy thanks you can bet I will not be using it at all .
JOHN

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »
I've seen a few real nice rifles that turned green as a gourd.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
Here's pictures of the one I did 20-some years ago with Chromium Trioxide.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie