Author Topic: Late Lancaster Info  (Read 5524 times)

Kaintuckkee

Late Lancaster Info
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
 What characteristics would one look for on the original Late Lancaster style rifles ? such as what calibers,barrel lengths,locks,inlays,carving,etc were used on this style of rifle.I have looked on the net but did not come up with much info. thanks in advance

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Late Lancaster Info
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
I think the most defining characterics of Lancaster rifles are the butt stock architecture with the straight lines of the well defined comb, straight line of the underside of the buttstock and the daisy head patchbox finial in some form. Variations of the double C scroll carving carried from Albrecht, Dickert and others was a common carving pattern.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »
If you scroll down through the antiques section, you will find several examples. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=343.0

"Late Lancaster" is still a broad brush.  How late?  1810?  1830? 1850?  Made for local trade or for the western trade?

I would suggest you look for Melchior Fordney rifles to get one taste of Lancaster rifles made in the late flint/early percussion era.  Leman apprenticed with Fordney, so Leman rifles, though usually plainer, reflect the architecture of a Fordney.

The Schweitzer rifle here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6323.0 has great and typical late Lancaster architecture, though a back action lock and relatively plain.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:34:49 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:36 PM »
I agree with what Rich said above, look at a Melchoir Fordney.    This is typical late Lancaster gun building.    The wrist
is normally higher than wide, not round, and of coarse it has those straight butt lines.   I have seen some great Fordney
rifles built, one by Charlie Heistand for George Myers, now deceased.   It was a great gun, checkered wrist, the whole
works..............Don

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the info guys

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
    Don't forget the old technology, BOOKS!  Start with Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age."    There is a lot of great reference material that is not available on the web.   Most of the guys that have been building for a while have rather sizable libraries.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
There are some general rules about late rifles as well. Like the narrowing of the butt plates and the slimming of the trigger guards. Muzzle caps tended to get longer with the late period and the average caliber got smaller.
Dave Blaisdell

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
More good info......thanks gentlemen