Author Topic: Ron Griffie  (Read 11432 times)

raa

Ron Griffie
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »

Ronald Lee Griffie
Ronald Lee Griffie, 72, of Denton, died December 23, after a two year battle with cancer.

Born in Richwood, W.Va., he moved to Annapolis as a youngster and resided on the Eastern Shore for the past 30 years. In his younger years he enjoyed building fast street cars, and rode motorcycles most of his life. He worked as a surveyor for Levitt Homes, the Bay Bridge and other road/bridge projects. His interest in muzzle loading guns began as a boy and continued throughout his life. He was well known for his expertise in the muzzle loading community.

Ron is predeceased by his parents, Nadine and Manuel Griffie; brother, John R. Griffie and wife, Patricia Griffie. He is survived by his children, William L. Griffie and Bonnie A. Griffie; his granddaughter, Bobbie Lee Griffie and his first wife, Barbara Phipps Griffie.

A graveside service will be held Tuesday, December 29, 10:30 a.m. at Hillcrest Cemetery in Annapolis. A reception will follow at the Caroline Co. Moose Lodge. Donations may be made to the NMLRA, P.O. Box 67, Friendship, IN 47021. Online condolences may be made at www.johnmtaylorfuneralhome.com

Offline BJH

Re: Ron Griffie
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:34:41 AM »
A friend indeed! Many years ago Iwas looking at one of his stocks rather longlingly, being short of funds I put it back in the rack. He really didn't know me from Adam, he told me to take it along with me and pay him as I was able. I passed as I didn't know how my cash flow would work out. But this was a simple testament on his faith in his fellow man. He will be missed. He and Konrad became good friends of mine , in as short time as our visits were. BJH
BJH

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
I never met Ron, but have heard many good stories about the quality of his wood.  I would have liked to have had the chance to meet him.
Curt

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
As one goes thru life you meet many "unforgettable characters".   Ron was one of these.    I knew Ron for many years.
He would make a trip up this way to pick thru our "blem" barrel, look for some cheap barrels that had minor flaws in them
and would barter with wood, he would then travel on to Fred Miller to wheel and deal.   I knew he was not in good  health
and am glad to see his journey end.   So glad that he was a part of my life, a good friend.  May god rest his soul........Don

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »
Have learned today that someone else will take over Ron's business in Denton, MD.  Word has it that there will be some nice wood available come Spring (if it ever gets here).  Just good to know that Ron's good work will go on albeit in someone else's hands.  Rest easy Ron.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
I first met Ron about 30 years ago when I was looking for some wood for a new build.  Don hit the nail on the head when he said that he was an "unforgettable character".  Not in a bad way, but once you spent some time with him you realized that he was a one of a kind. He would give you his last dollar if you needed it, even though he was usually short on funds himself.   I haven't seen him in quite a while now and I've wondered from time to time what happened to him, I guess now I know.  Rest in peace Ronnie.

Frank

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »
I was just logging on to pass this info along, just heard today from the other Choptank guys.  Saw Ron in November at our turkey shoot, he drove up against doctor's orders.   ;)  Glad he was able to get some extra time and visit at Dixon's last summer, early last summer the Docs had only given him a few weeks. 

If anybody met Marty at their table at Dixon's the past few years, that's who's taking over the wood business.  But there will never be another RG.  Only met him a few times over the past couple years as I got into building, but some of the stories I've heard are priceless.  His shop was fairly clean when I went by, at least from past stories, as all the wood was clean - he evidently used to have chickens in the shop and would often have to scrape chicken @#$%/!! off some of his best wood.   ;D  And there were strict orders NEVER to pick up anything off the floor and put it away - it may have looked like a bomb exploded in there but he knew where everything was. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
Iv'e known Griffie for over 30 yrs. Met him at a show and went to his house on the eastern shore to get some nice wood. Found it after some trouble. A rutted sand road with a dead cat and Red, White and Blue cans everywhere. This led to a beautifull antebellum mansion with a fifty foot tree growing thru the front porch. He lived in the back with a kitchen, bedroom and sitting room. His shop was in the basement with literally 3 inches of sawdust on the floor. There was a huge walkin fireplace with the original cookpots hanging in it. If a part was dropped, there was no point looking for it, he would just make another.
The rest of the house seemed abandoned. A beautifull spiral staircase led upstaires all lined with wood blanks. His "kiln" was the hot attic. A leak in the roof was no problem as it would take some time for it to get to his part of the house. I liked him instantly.  He latter moved to a more conventional house in Denton, Md. with a more conventional shop, but he remained unconventioal. I'll miss him.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
I find more and more truth in the saying, "It's what you leave behind that matters." and althought I never got to know Ron personally, it seems he's left quite some fond memories behind.  God rest his soul.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »
I Remember Ron from his display at Friendship with his gorgeous curly maple blanks,  I feel fortunate buying a few from him! One of his most intresting pieces in his booth was a southern caplock "Without a Lock" just a torsion spring from a old car trunk lid mounted parallel to the barrel with a homemade trigger/ seer assembly with a nipple sticking out the side of the barrel without  lockplate!I guess you would call it a " TORSHION SPRING SIDESLAPPER? ", Man it looked like a real old timey southern mountain rifle with exceptionally nice architecture and workmanship!!!It seemed like he called his company "DEATHWIND"Is this correct? If so possibly he created the "DEATHWIND SCHOOL" without even knowing it!! He loved his Red White & Blue beer and smoked cigarettes like a chimney! He always had time to talk with you and was very helpful with ML building information!I have missed him the last couple of years at Friendship and knew cancer kept him away! Once you met him you would never forget him! He was quite a character! I guess it takes one to know one!

He will be missed! :(

Dave Reising

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
Yes Dave, if I remember correctly, he called his business "Death Wind".  He told me the story behind the name once, I think it had something to do with Liver Eating Johnson.

I have several stories I could tell about Ron, but I don't think I'll tell them here, they're the kind that should only be repeated after several beers at the local bar!   ;)

Frank

Offline Dave R

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Fullstock,

Thanks for the update!

Who remembers his " Torsion Spring side slapper southern rifle? What do you remember about it  ???

Dave R

jimc2

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
I remember seeing it at dixons one year would like to see a photo doggone clever and simple

Sean

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
Griffie's pitchfork/Honda hatchback shock rifle is still pictured in the ALR archives.  Its a classic.  See this link:

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=7169.0

Sean
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:32:49 PM by Sean »

Offline BrentD

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
Can you post a photo?  I can't log in anymore and have no idea what my logins where for that place.

Sean

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
Copied text and URLs form the original post by Slowpoke

A few months ago someone was asking about this rifle and I knew the man that has it. I finally got around to taking some pictures of it to show everyone. It's a 40 caliber Griffe barrel and is 48 inches long. Everything on it is handmade and despite it's looks, it a terrific shooter. I also asked Griffie about the lock itself and he said it was NOT made from a pitchfork, rather it was made from a Honda trunk extender. The best I can describe the extender is the bar on the sides of the trunk as you lift up on it raise the lid. Kinda like that piston looking thing on a storm door. Anyway, you pull on the side of the extender and the notch in the bar catches on trigger. Pull the trigger and it releases and slaps the cap on the nipple. I did the best I could with the pictures and hope they will do a better job of explaining things than I did.

Sean

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:33 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Griffie's passing and sorry that I never had the chance to meet him. The world needs more interesting characters! I've heard mention of his "pitchfork" rifle here before and am really intrigued. I can't see how a simple extention of the trigger could have enough leverage to work against the pressure of the cross pin? Sure like to see a schematic of the action.

Sean

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 01:44:08 AM »
You know, I've wondered how the heck that thing would work since the firs time I saw it.  There's only one pivot pin in it.  I wonder if there isn't some sort of mechanism on the underside of the tang.  You can't see the tang bolts.  Griffie sounds like a guy I would've liked.  I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet him.  His side slapper sure made an impression on me.

Sean

Offline Dave R

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the pictures!It is one of a kind! Yes I think he did say the spring came from a Honda automobile however I thought it was from a torsion bar spring that holds  the trunk lid up not a gas strut shaft? ??? They both accomplish the same in a car! The method is different!

Offline LynnC

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:14 AM »
Ron must have been quite ingenious.
I see two pivot pins - one for the trigger and one below the protruding end of the "hammer" on the bottom of the side panel.  It can be seen in the 2nd to last pic and third from last.  As to how it works............I'd hafta think about that for a while.  Some sorta large L shaped sear and spring arrangement I suspect.  I'd like to know the secret myself...............Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Sean

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Lynn,

I figured the front one was for the trigger guard.  I don't see any screws on it.  Like you, I would love to know how the innards of this thing worked.

Sean

Offline LynnC

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:52:51 AM »
Sean
I never thouht about that pin being for the TG - every soutern mountain style TG I ever saw was screwed down front and rear and I can't dispute cause I can't see the pics on my blackberry ;)
I'll look closer when I get home.
Still a mystery.....Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......