Author Topic: If only it had a signature  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Tom Currie

If only it had a signature
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
For all you guys interested in longrifle evolution I thought I'de post this question , If one known rife out there had a signature which is currently unknown or maybe marginally attributed, which rifle do you wish had a signature ?

Couple thoughts for me would be maybe Edward Marshalls rifle RCA#41, or how about RCA #42 ?.

Maybe you wish Wolgang Hachen would have signed one.

For me it would be the rifle illustrated in Shumways Longrifle artilces vol#1 page 208 , very related to RCA#92  , very nice non standard/conforming  ( early ) butt carving. A little Schroyer, a little Peter Roesser, maybe even better Matthias Roesser.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: If only it had a signature
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »
So many!  Not in any particular order:
The "Free Born" rifle (Schroyer?)
Marshall rifle (Albrecht or Oerter or who?)
RCA #42
Kindig #18 (A Roesser piece?  Matthias or Peter?)
RCA #20-22 (Hachen?)
RCA #19
The "Deschler" rifle (Niehardt?)
RCA #112 (I think this is the right number- short barreled piece with Berlin styled lock panels)
First rifle in RCA volume 2
Most all the early York guns assigned tentatively to Schroyer
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
I would be almost willing to bet 112 is a Berlin gun.  It has the Berlin lock panels, and the thumbnail buttplate.

If I were to wish for only one gun to be signed, golly, how could you pick any other gun than #42!!!!  And wouldn't it be funny if it were signed "Georg Leyendecher"....

;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:59:10 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rallen

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
I'm partial to the early Reading guns. Simple, beautifully designed and well balanced. Seemed to be one of the locations where many masters in Lancaster and York learned their trade.  I'm with Rich with RCA 20-22? Hachen? How much of a hand he had, if any, after his "accident", in the work attributed to him is actually by apprentices?
RCA 127 also poses and interesting question with its Reading hardware, similar to RCA 20. Was it restocked or molds used by an apprentice elsewhere?
It would be fascinating, but part of the intrigue and mystique is not knowing who had a hand in what pieces. Part of the fun is putting the puzzle together.
Ryan

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »
RCA 65, 42 and 52.

Best Regards,

John Cholin