Author Topic: Swamp barrel ?  (Read 4739 times)

greybeard

Swamp barrel ?
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »
Were a person to use a swamped barrel  A wt. in .40 the wall thickness is .130 at the narrowest point. Question is can a bloke get away with not puttting a lug at the narrowest point of the barrel as in one near the muzzle and the next one back a bit further back where the barrel wall is a bit heavier. Would this harm accuracey. Also because the barrel has a certain ammount of torque would the wood in that area be at risk. Just wondering .Thanks  Bob

keweenaw

Re: Swamp barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
This will all work but a simple solution is to soft solder the lug on at the thin spot of the barrel.  Just file the base of the lug down to 0.030" or something like that.  You are a lot better off having a lug where you want it than just using two widely spaced lugs and besides we all kinda like the pin holes to be regularly spaced.  One of the tricks in using these really thin barrels, that flex so easily, is to bed them perfectly without the wood pulling down or pushing up on the barrel in the middle, not all that easy to do in a hand inletting job.

Tom

northmn

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
One other way many use to alleviate the wood to metal problem is to slot the lugs instead of just drilling them to allow for wood movement.  As Snyder said you can solder on a lug.  I have done so on a few fowlers and they hold.  Shallow dovetailing and other remedies are at best over building as the soldered lugs have held on my fowlers and a flat is easier to get a good fit on.

DP

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
Bob:  If you are going to "soft solder" the mid section lug to the barrel, use "lead free" solder which is
95% tin & 5% silver.  This stuff has twice the tensile strength as 40-60 leaded solder and it flows at the same temp.  I use it all the time where a soft solder is required. ;)     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Tizzy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »
I am probably going to open myself up to a "thrashing" with my response from those that consider a loose barrel inlet poor workmanship, but here goes. First, follow the advice of one of the above posts and soft solder the lug onto the barrel. Slot the lugs to ensure free movement of the barrel. Wood contracts and expands with changing weather conditions, as well as when the barrel heats up from a repeated string of shots. Rifles without slotted lugs will start to show a decrease in accuracy after the barrel has been heated through multiple shots. Inlet the breech area as tight as possible, then inlet the rest of the barrel loose to allow for barrel whip and harmonics. If a loose inlet bothers you, inlet the barrel as tight as possible, ensuring an even pressure the entire barrel length. However, remember that wood will swell and contract with the weather, and the rising temperature of the barrel through shooting will have a similar effect as changing weather temperatures. That tight inlet may provide for even preasure on the barrel the day it was perfectly inleted, but how bout at a 50 degree temperature change, or in moist or dry weather? With such changes, I would be willing to bet you'd have a pressure point on that barrel however slight. There is a difference between modern firearms and non cartridge firearms with regards to barrel whip and harmonics, but there is a reason modern tactical/target rifles have a free floating barrel, and on the same note many original longrifles have been reported to have a more rounded barrel inlet. Tight on side flats and loose on the other flats. Call it sloppy workmanship or not. Just something to think about.

Online hortonstn

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »
being the new guy i thought it was possible to mess up the inside of the barrel
if it got to hot in soldering
just a thought
paul

northmn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
being the new guy i thought it was possible to mess up the inside of the barrel
if it got to hot in soldering
just a thought
paul

Thats why ists best to soft solder, it does not get as hot.   I have had excellent results with old 50/50 solder.  Whether its just my technique, flux or the solder I find its easier to get flow to it when soldering.  Always been plenty strong for soldered joints. 

DP

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:30:14 AM »
Maybe a guy should clean the inside of the barrel of any excess oil before soldering. Just a thought as I have done it and had alot of scrubing to get the oil residue out.   Gary

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:16 AM »
Agreed Gary. Thanks for your responses lads. If I were to go that route I would use 3 lugs with the same spacing as 4 and put a dummy escution where there is no lug to keep everything symetrical. I just feel edgey bout using staples in that thin part of the barrel. I managed to  break my drlll bit of and thought I coud break it up with a punch .
Not so !! I ordered a new barrel to finish up the build . lucky it was the furthest back so cut the ruined part off and with all the stuff I have around here all I had to do was make a Nock type hook breech and buy a suitable lock and ended up with a 37 inch full stock so all was not lost. This gun is the end result of what was a major error with not so bad results.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:35:32 AM by greybeard »