Author Topic: dimensions of original locks  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
dimensions of original locks
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
I ran across this on another forum.  The link is below:

http://www.feuerwaffen.ch/HTML/HTML%20Flintschloss%20Theorie%20mini/sld001.html

The text is German or Swiss, neither of which can I understand.  But it appears to give a number of dimensions for a group of original flintlocks.  Slide 22 seems to be a chart of those dimensions.  I hope someone here can help.  If I understand correctly, this may be a useful page.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: dimensions of original locks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:54 AM »
The text is German AND Swiss.   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
The chart gives some dimensions of various locks.  The measurements will be in millimeters (though I don't get the touch hole listing, which has a + or - number...).
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:45:48 AM »
Larry, thanks for posting that!
For general measurements, remember that 25.4 MM = 1 inch.

John
John Robbins

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:03 AM »
I tried with both translation programs that I have and could translate nothing.  If you get it readable in English please re post it.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Joe S

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
Just out of curiosity, can a blacksmith make a lock to those specifications, or are these instructions for molded or drop forged parts?

Offline TPH

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
I tried with both translation programs that I have and could translate nothing.  If you get it readable in English please re post it.

As I understand it from my Aunt who was Swiss, the problem with translation is that the German language spoken in Switzerland (Deutsche Schweiz) is just different enough to not allow the standard translation programs to work. The same happens with the French (my Aunt) and Italian dialects spoken there, don't even think about the Romansh language native to 2 small areas of Switzerland. Here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the members of the Mennonite community speak the 18th Century version of Deutsche Schweiz.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:36:11 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
An automatic translator is not going to understand all the "gun words".

I could probably sit with my dictionary and translate it all, but from what I can tell from a quick once over, I wouldn't really learn anything I didn't already know.   ;)