Author Topic: Hard Frizzen  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Hard Frizzen
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:33 AM »
 I bought a L & R Flint lock awhile back from one of the big dealers and it is in my grandsons rifle all browned and ready to go. My problem is that the frizzen is to hard and will not through a spark. I put it in the oven for an hour at 375 degrees and left it in the oven until it was cooled down. I don't have a way to use any other heat source  and I'm looking for suggestions to fix this problem.All you advice will be appreciated.  Thanks  Eric  D.. Lau  Riverdale  Mi.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Hard Frizzen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:40:43 AM »
Eric, are you saying that it won't spark AFTER you've drawn the temper for an hour?

I have had L & R locks that wouldn't spark, too.  After snapping the flint many times, I started to get sparks, so on the next one, I went straight to the belt grinder and sander off a little steel.  That worked and the lock sparked properly...seems there was a hard skin that resisted the flint.

On the last lock from them, it wouldn't spark well enough to suit me, so I case hardened it like Jerry Huddleston advised, and then drew the temper at 375 for an hour.  Presto...crazy sparking machine!!  I also increased the tension of the mainspring, as I thought it was a little flabby, and rehardened and tempered the frizzen spring...standard procedure.  Their frizzen springs appear to be drawn only to straw, which in my opinion is too hard.  I draw mine to that pretty blue, and then they last forever.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.