Author Topic: Lock makers who machine their parts?  (Read 3708 times)

Naphtali

Lock makers who machine their parts?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
I am interested in contacting Bob Roller if he is still active. I understand he manufactures percussion cap locks, and perhaps flintlocks plus breeches for his locks - that he machines from bar stock.

Since I am interested in lock makers who machine their parts rather than assemble via castings, if anyone is aware of such lock makers, please identify them for me.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Lock makers who machine their parts?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
It makes little differfence whether the parts were initially machined or cast.  What makes the difference is how it is fit up and finished afterwards.  Again, your project will turn out best if you find a competent builder and let him handle these issues.  Take it or leave it, but that's my advice.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
I am interested in contacting Bob Roller if he is still active. I understand he manufactures percussion cap locks, and perhaps flintlocks plus breeches for his locks - that he machines from bar stock.
1.  He's 75 and only active when it pleases him.  He picks and chooses what he will do.
2.  He doesn't make locks to order.  He uses a limited number of existing plates and fits his own internals to them namely Hawken, Alex Henry, Gibbs and a couple others.  He "might" make a flint lock from one of his own patterns.
3.  He doesn't make breeches.  He has my Rigby breech castings now and hasn't decided if he wants to do them yet.

My advice to you for your projects is to choose a competent gunmaker and let him serve as general contractor, choosing subcontractors who will make special parts.  He is the one who has to fit everything together in the end and doesn't want a boxfull of parts provided by you which may or may not fit.  If you want a gun built, turn it over to someone who knows what the $#*! they're doing and be prepared to pay the price.  Guns are built from a consensus of advice garnered from forums, and such a person will turn many builders off.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Ron Brimer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
Unless you want to spend lots of money, and LOTS with thousands, not hundreds of $$ just get one of Chambers locks. He will stand behind it period.
When your gun is finished no one will know or care if the internals are cast. its the quality of the finished product, how its assembled.
     Ron B

northmn

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
While I could admit to advantages with a lock using machined parts, the current ones work well enough so that I would still use them over paying the extra cost.   Actuall, if you watch the "Gunsmith of Williamsburg" , Gussler had dies and forged many fo the parts in his forge.

DP

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
Properly designed castings will provide sufficient material for stock removal in critical bearing or contact areas.  So essentially you are machining these parts in the required areas.  Done properly there is no functional advantage to using fully machined parts provided you are working with sound castings.  This is coming from somebody who has built fully machined locks.  Trust what I say.