Author Topic: Would this lock be acceptable?  (Read 4120 times)

Naphtali

Would this lock be acceptable?
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »
This query is not nearly as bizarre as it appears. I have been attempting to find a muzzleloading gun maker who will create a pair of English-style .72-caliber flintlock sporting rifles. I have my barrel blanks and 13 sets of [three different lock designs] flintlock parts that have been custom cast for me from which two or three flintlocks need be finished, fitted, and heat treated.

As I type, I have not located such a gun maker - even one who is way out of my price range - yet. Since I'm beginning to worry about finding one, I'm trying to create options.

Okay, to my question: Were I to alter the plan to create percussion cap lock rifles rather than flintlocks, would using Pedersoli's Kodiak double rifle locks be inappropriate - that is, unattractive or aesthetically unsuited for a single shot? Below is a close up of such a lock.

greybeard

Re: Would this lock be acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »
If you check  out totw web site they have a nice english bar percussed lock L&R 500 S, and a good selection of matching hook breech systems up to 1 1/4 " that work together.. you also need the lock bar that is soldered onto the barrel.
That would be my choice ahead of a Kodiak lock for a single barrel 12 bore gun.
Bob

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:03:48 AM »
they have a nice english bar percussed lock L&R 500 S, and a good selection of matching hook breech systems up to 1 1/4 " that work together
That's a false assumption.  They do not work together.  The L&R bar lock is a shotgun lock, to be mounted at the bottom of a round barrel, as are the Pedersoli locks.  Any other application will result in the mainspring not clearing the barrel.

The L&R can be used in conjunction with a Davis drip bar for a one inch Oct/round barrel.  Because of where the mainspring is hung, any other application will result in barrel clearance problems.

Any application larger than 1" should use the Davis Alex Henry lock and drip bar as it is properly sized for larger breeches.  The exposed reveal of the lock panel is determined by the lock/breechplug combo used, as is the shaping of the stock between the edge of the reveal and the tang.  There are other hardware issues also, as you cannot just order trigger plates, guards, and triggers and expect them to fit, as they are not matched to one another.

Pecatonica's Rigby components all fit together.  Track's English sporting rifle's components all fit together.  Don Brown's Alex Henry components all fit together, but are no longer available as he is deceased.  Anything else is a $#@* shoot.  No one else is offering English component sets, and if they are please let me know too.  In addition,you will note that most of TOTW's parts are not in stock and require long waits.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »
There is a gunmaker in Wyoming you might want to consider. Steve Zihn, 112 Riggs Rd, Shoshoni
Wyoming  82649   szihn@wyoming.com.
I have a fine .54 cal American Colonial-style flintlock pistol from Steve. My guess is he is more or less an 18th century - early 19th century guy. Track O' Wolf had a nice Jaeger of his a couple years ago.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »
Sorry if I made an eroneous sugestion . I was merley quoting what  they are stating on their  web site. It seems they have combos that they claim to work together. Guess you can't believe everything that you see, hear or read. Bob

Naphtali

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
Many thanks for source AND for useful information that I would never have considered.

While I would have preferred to keep the project in Montana, Wyoming is pretty doggone close.