Author Topic: First gun almost finished  (Read 9541 times)

burnsranch

First gun almost finished
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
Still have to build the ram rod and finish the front sight. I had a knot in the fore stock and a fear of long straight lines, so I left the fore stock plain.  Sometimes it is better to quit while you are ahead. It turned out far better that I thought it would.

Thanks for the comments
Russ

Offline Swampwalker

Re: First gun almost finished
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
That is a very nice first gun, no question about it.  Congradulations!

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
Russ: Good stuff for a first!  Would like to see it in person - where are you in SD?
 Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

burnsranch

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I am in Aladdin Wy.
I shoot black power 20 years ago in Michigan but I wore the hatfield out. This is the replacement shooter. I have not really looked into black powder shoots in the area yet.
If you participate in some events in the area, I will try an make some.

Russ

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
Very nice indeed. You will glean  many hours of pleasure, I'm sure, from this nice gun.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Looks good to me.  From what I can tell from the pictures, your inletting looks real good and I like the color of your wood.  Should make you a great hunting/match gun, and bring you many hours of enjoyment and the satisfaction that goes with shooting something that you built.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
     Now that is something to be proud of, fine job. The thing I liked about my first build is I didn't put my name on it. ;D ;D  Color looks good, what kind of stain an finish did you use?     Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

gregg

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
Looks great. Might want to try..

http://www.muzzleloadersoftheblackhills.com/

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
Russ,

That's a fine looking piece.  You did a great job on shaping and blending the beavertails.  I really like the color.  What stain and finish did you use?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

burnsranch

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
The stain is what Jim Chambers sold about 6 years ago. It sat in an unheated barn most of that time. It sort of became unsealed and the can sure looked nasty, but it looked OK on the barrel channel I tested it out on, so I used it.  Maybe it is like that Stradivarius varnish.

I think that is the first thing I have stained deliberately since about 1972.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 05:11:29 AM »
Looks real nice. What is your finish on your barrel? Also, I'm wondering if a different finish on the lock might be in order. I don't know if blued would look right or not but the lock looks a little too "stock" to my eye. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Any simple way to dress the lock up some?

Real nice overall. Thanks for the pics!

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:23:18 AM »
The lock looks like it needs to be polished on the outside to remove the matt finish left behind from investment casting.  The lock could then be left bright or blued or case hardened.  Just some  suggestions. ;)       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
....  The lock could then be left bright or blued or case hardened.  Just some  suggestions. ;)       Hugh Toenjes

or brown the outer surfaces.  Trigger plate too.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
Looks good.  I assume this is a Chamber's Lancaster kit.  Always good to let people know what you started from.  Got another project planned?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:56:22 AM »
Kibler beat me to it.    I also thought it was a Chambers lancaster kit.   This is not meant to detract from what you have done.  Building a gun from a kit still requires "gunbuilding" and I think you have done an admirable job.  I've built a lot of
kit guns.   It's what you do with that pile of parts that turns it into a good gun, at the same time you are learining a lot about gun building.   Well done...........Don

burnsranch

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »
I sure did not want imply I was a gun builder. When I priced a quality replacement for my old Hatfield, I figured I could cobble together a kit and end up with a quality shooter. It was never my thought to "build" a gun, just cobble together a good shooter. I don't think I have done any wood working projects since a flunked woodworking in Junior High, of course you could not flunk woodworking. I just ordered a kit and put it together. I don't really have much of a reference to how good or bad it is.
When I figure out what I am going to do with the lock, I will brown the trigger plate. But the flints and the powder should show up next week, so I am going to shoot it for a while first.

I am envious of some of the workshops I have seen as I only put together a bare minimum of tools. A set of quality chisels, which mainly used the 1/4 in one and some files. I am going to put together some better tools, for the next one.
It will probably be a 40 caliber kit.

Thanks again for the comments

Russ

mlr1m

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 04:56:48 AM »
I ordered this same kit last week. Care to offer any warnings or other information? Did you encounter any problems? Did you use the Chambers DVD that he sells?

Michael

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »
Russ , it sounds like you have caught the bug. A good choice for a kit and it looks like it will get you back in the hunting field in fine fashion. Don't sell yourself short . Read over some of the tutorials on carving and engraving and practice a bit on scraps until your confidence is built up a bit and dive in. There is so much info. available here that I still have a hard time believing it is all right here for everyone to benefit from.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Glenn

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Beautiful gun.  You did a great job !!!  The wood is figured perfectly IMHO.  When I see "first builds" like this on here I wince and just sit back and think "WOW", as I can only hope my first attempt comes out about half as good as this one. :)
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

FRJ

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »
Dang Russ!!! thats a really good looking rifle!!! I'm just beginning on the road to becoming a rifle builder and I know very little about doing it yet but I'd sure be proud to say I built one as nice as that. I'm just starting on a 1830 period Hawken and hope to be posting my own photos here in a year or so. Nice job, Frank

trimegistus

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:55 AM »
What grade of wood did you choose in the kit? Is this the fancy or extra fancy maple?  Lookin good!

burnsranch

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »
I think it was just the plain grade, but I ordered the kit in 2004 and who knows. Building a house got in the way.

Russ

hoochiepapa

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Very nice! I like the wood color after staining. Don't have any critcsizm, I'm almost finished with my third. Hope it looks that good.