Author Topic: Walnut or Maple on Fowler  (Read 5661 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Walnut or Maple on Fowler
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:42 AM »
Gents,

I know I'm being a pain, but my fowler book is in Florida and I'm stuck in Helmat Province! LOL! One more question before I order tomorrow:

Walnut or Maple? Which is HC for an Colonial American made fowler? I was leaning towards Walnut because I prefer what I assume would be a darker, browner look on the fowler to the lighter golden red-brown that my mind associates with a Kentucky/Pennsylvania hard maple stock.

But then I got to thinking, what would be the correct wood?

Now I'm kind of glad I missed the Chambers this morning! When I realized what time it was I was too late!

Best regards!
Albert A Rasch

Offline woodsrunner

Re: Walnut or Maple on Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:13:35 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think American Black Cherry was favored especially in New England. Kentucky Fowlers maybe Black Walnut maybe.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
Al,

Either would be "correct".  I'd go with what would please you.  You can get a nice dark color to maple, just depends on how you finish it.  For what it's worth, I love walnut...

Stay out of the beaten zone, and be safe.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:33 AM »
Both ;-)
Are PC - pick what you like.......Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
Both were used, along with the fruitwoods like apple and cherry.  If you've ever worked with an average piece of American black walnut, you might find yourself choosing sugar maple.  The makers of the originals used what was available of sufficient quality.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
Rasch, A good piece of cherry is a joy to work with and makes a beautiful fowler.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
I knew someome would like this tid bit of info sooner or later???? In Grinsdales' book the wood composition of the 54 fowlers listed are as follows:

Cherry.....25
Curley M....9
Maple........4
Walnut.....4
oak...........1
unnamed..11
Total..........54

I had a lot of time on my hands sitting in my camper between "shooting times" one turkey season. Glad I had the book with me!!!!...I also "averaged" bore size, length, weight, and hardware composition....Whew! Interesting...Ed
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:43:18 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:07:45 PM »

Walnut, Cherry and Maple are all correct and other woods also.
There are 12 Hudson Valley Fowlers pictured on Pg 28 of "Steel Canvas" at least 7 look like curly Maple, one of these is an early doglock. There is one other that looks like straight maple and a 8th "probable" for curly Maple.

But this is just the guns in one collection. Other collections are likely different. Often its what the COLLECTOR decides to collect in terms of both the firearm and perhaps even the wood its stocked in (?).

Me? I like hard maple, curlier is better. I think its the best native American stock wood. American walnut is OK but its near the bottom of the list in MOST cases. In walnut a GOOD piece of a hybrid like Bastogne or European walnut. Never stocked a gun in Cherry. If I can get maple I see no reason to. But thats just me.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
I have a .50 "smoothrifle" in cherry, and I really like it. It's pretty dark, by aqua fortis. You might consider that. Cherry as were so many originals, dark to your preference.

Look around for some figured cherry. There's some great stuff, including curly. Check with these folks:

http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/Gunstocks.php
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:23 PM »
Hello everyone!

Well, I have a choice between walnut and maple, and since walnut is HC I'm going with that. I really appreciate all the advise and council. Really helps in making an informed decision.

I missed the Chambers again tonight! Our comm was down for a couple of hours and I missed the window. Just have to try again tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Big Hogs and Bigger Dogs!!

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:18:22 AM »
I knew someome would like this tid bit of info sooner or later???? In Grinsdales' book the wood composition of the 54 fowlers listed are as follows:

Cherry.....25
Curley M....9
Maple........4
Walnut.....4
oak...........1
unnamed..11
Total..........54

I had a lot of time on my hands sitting in my camper between "shooting times" one turkey season. Glad I had the book with me!!!!...I also "averaged" bore size, length, weight, and hardware composition....Whew! Interesting...Ed

Ed,
At the risk of taking the thread off topic, I would LOVE to know about the other figures you mentioned.

Gus

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
Ed,

Yes please!

Shoot just make a new thread on it so we can discuss it and others will know what it's about!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Big Hogs and Bigger Dogs!!