Author Topic: Tools List Needed for Lyman GPR Rebuild  (Read 7003 times)

Mattole

Tools List Needed for Lyman GPR Rebuild
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening -

I just purchased a used Lyman GPR that I would like to transform into a 'Hawken' rifle that is a little more period correct. I intend to reshape the stock, file the lettering off the barrel, brown the barrel and other metal parts (don't know about the lock and hammer though.. should I leave it 'case hardened?), and probably replace the escutcheons and the rear sight. I am new to all this, and so I am hoping to get input from you venerable gun building veterans on which basic hand tools I will need to purchase in order to accomplish my goals.

Many thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:05:51 PM by Mattole »

Daryl

Re: Tools List Needed for Lyman GPR Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:17 PM »
There is a thread here, maybe a tutorial of what Taylor did to Brians' GPR.  It was an excellent job- laid out in order with pics and text. I don't know if it was a tutorial or not. Perhaps someone can find it. I don't know where to begin.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
Here are the ones I found that might at least be a start:

GPR Rebuild

GPR Kit

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
The Best Turkey Hunting Tips!

Mattole

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:44:08 PM »
Thanks very much for those links, Rasch. I'm such a newcomer to this that I need the specific name and dimensions of the files and rasps. I don't have a pile of money to spend on tools, so I want to make sure I buy the right ones!

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
Hmmm,

I'm kinda surprised that more folks haven't responded. Maybe it's the time... it's 0140 in Afghanistan.

Look, I'm probably the last guy that should offer any advice on this, but if I read everything correctly, you probably could do the vast majority of it with:

A good rasp. I would look into getting Nicholson patternmakers rasp or go for the good stuff, Auriou Rasps
Some scrapers, you can get them almost anywhere, just learn to sharpen them.
A good quality 1/2" chisel
A grinder to shape the scrapers!

I'm new too, but I have a garage full of hand tools, and last month I kind of went overboard on ebay in preparation for my first build...
Anyway, Here is a really good thread:
 New Member Asking About Cost of Tools for First Rifle Build

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Scouting for Hogs, Chronicles Style!

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »
Mattole, since you are using this as a learning experience, i would recommend starting small with your learning curve.  While the Nicholson Pattern makers rasps are great, they are also 35-45 bucks each.  Starting out for you project I would get the four in hand, most hardware stores have it.  It will give you four different types of coarseness in one tool for a few bucks. A 1/4 and 1/2 inch chisel. a mallet or better yet a broke end of an old bat  to drive them. that's all you need to get started.  Good screw drivers. and lastly sandpaper, don't buy the cheap stuff.  Learn how to sharpen your chisels.  It's better to spend as best you can for quality than volume.  Try not to buy sets, as you may only use a few, and the rest just rusts.  Buy the best you can as you go, and by the time you are ready for a real build you should be set.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
If you have to buy all the tools for this one little job- and I presume you might not know how to use them- it might be more cost effective and end up with a better job to have someone do it for you. Just something to consider.

Mattole

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
Albert, thanks for helping to get the thread rolling and for your suggestions - and all the way from Afghanistan, even! What are you doing there, by the way? And this is a little embarrassing to admit, but the thread you referred to (New Member Asking About Cost of Tools for First Rifle Build) is one that was from a question I asked way back in October when I first joined the forum. I had actually forgotten that I posted that - I appreciate the reminder.

From my research this afternoon and the replies I have received (thank you, Bill of the 45th!) it sounds like I need something along the lines of:
- a 12" single cut mill file for draw filing the barrel;
- various grits of wet/dry sandpaper;
- perhaps some Scotch Brite pads;
- a Four-In-Hand rasp set
- 1/4" and 1/2' flat chisels and a mallet;
- any other files for shaping the wood around the lock, a 'bastard' or whatever it is called?

Nate thanks for the suggestion but I am doing a rebuild of a GPR to begin to learn some things about gunmaking, so I really don't want someone else to do it. This will be my introduction to the craft, and as time and money allow I will move up to more ambitious projects, like a Jim Chambers kit build. Plus, I'm pretty good with my hands, so I don't have much doubt that I can pull this off. A little doubt, but not too much..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:39:41 AM by Mattole »

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »
Mattole,

My bad, shoulda looked at the author. LOL!

Let's see what do I do... Seems like I spend the vast majority of my time making sure my entrails don't become extrails. Other than that I help keep the Entry Control Points in order, keep the riff-raff from blowing us up, or our allies from shooting us.

Remember too that a worn metal file will do a credible job on wood. Or so I have heard oft repeated. I don't know for sure, because I have never tried it by intent.

A couple of precursors to the tools. Look at this: Sharpening including Scary Sharp Probably the number 1 step towards success.
I like Scrapers, so here is an interesting if homey tutorial:Scraper Tool Tutorial

The last thing I can think of right now is Mr Okie's Chunk Gun Tutorial, Though he hasn't gotten to the stock whittleing part yet, it still teaches a whole lot!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Best Hog Hunting in Florida!!

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/DTaylorSapergia/TaylorMadeGuns/DSCN1617.jpg
That is the gun I was referring to, but not the thread.  Perhaps there is another.

Taylor did note that it was the hardest and toughest piece of walnut he'd ever encountered. To date, the Hawken stock he just built with one of Tom's pieces of maple, is the hardest piece of maple he'd ever cut.

Tools have to be sharper than sharp & kept that way.

A Stanley Sureform might help, but might also take wood too quickly - that's what I always do - just one moreoops.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:42:08 PM by Daryl »

Mattole

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:14:28 AM »
Albert, that sounds pretty edgy.. may you be returned safely and soundly to your Florida hinterlands with many fine stories to tell.. Through the years whenever I have emerged from encounters with grizzly or rattlesnake or Niger militia or street thugs unscathed, the fist thought in my head, after "Thank you" to the heavens, has always been "This is going to make a great story to tell.."

I am intrigued by scrapers, and will look into them more. It seems like if they would offer a good deal of control.

Daryl, thanks for the inspiring photo. I am very fortunate to say that Taylor has agreed to give me some pointers on my project sometime soon. I think his work is amazing.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:33:45 AM »
Mattole, Here is a very helpful gunbuilding tutorial--http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/tutorials/brooks/Brooks1.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:40:26 AM by Nate McKenzie »

Mattole

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the link to the tutorial, Nate. It looks like it will be very helpful to me.