Author Topic: Linseed Oil finish  (Read 2126 times)

Offline JCKelly

Linseed Oil finish
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Does anyone know of references to exactly how military flint muskets were finished? From obvervation, and discussions with other collectors, however they did it, they did not first raise the grain. When you see a musket with a "prickly" walnut stock, you may assume that no one has refinished this stock. Rather, the grain has raised from moisture slowly permeating that oil finish over the last century or two.

We all "know" they were finished with linseed oil. But just what kind of linseed oil? Today gun nuts are into "boiling" their own, which involves heating the presumably "raw" oil and adding some lead compound as a drier. So they'll not have to wait so long for the finish to dry, I suppose. In the art world, professional oil painters use paint made of pigments ground into cold-pressed linseed oil, no driers added, no heat processing. One may choose to add a "medium" to this paint after it comes from the tube, this medium best being some linseed oil, commonly "stand oil", and real honest-to-gosh distilled turpentine. Stand oil has been heat processed about 525 - 575F (~275 - 300C), which makes it about the consistency of thin honey, no dryers being added..

One might speculate, I would like to know if there are any published references to how  the 19th century armories finished walnut stocks.

Offline TPH

Re: Linseed Oil finish
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
The Arsenals and contractors dunked the finished stocks in tanks of hot linseed oil and allowed then to hang until excess oil drained off. If you have ever seen an unissued, original military musket the grain will have raised somewhat giving the prickly feel you talked about and the walnut grain will be completely open as well - there will be no filing. The last unissued musket that I was able to actually hold for close examination was a US M1816 and it had never had a post arsenal finish of hand rubbed linseed oil applied. Metal and stock were both perfect and completely dull - no burnishing of the wood in any way.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:00:46 AM by TPH »
T.P. Hern