Author Topic: Left Handed Percussion Breach  (Read 3428 times)

Dave Faletti

Left Handed Percussion Breach
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
Does anyone know of a source for a left handed breech, english or hawken style for a 1.25 inch octagon barrel.   I know I can get a custom one made but curious if there is someone offering larger than 1.125 out there.  I have found up to 1.375 for right handers.  Sucks being wrong handed.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Left Handed Percussion Breach
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
I am curious, why a left hand PERCUSSION breech?    What's wrong with using a right handed one?   Or, if you must go that way, use a drum and nipple.............Don

Naphtali

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a left handed breech, english or hawken style for a 1.25 inch octagon barrel.   I know I can get a custom one made but curious if there is someone offering larger than 1.125 out there.  I have found up to 1.375 for right handers.  Sucks being wrong handed.
You might try Dennis McCandless in Las Cruces, NM. He machines breeches from bar stock.

Hope this helps.

FRJ

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
I'm a wrong hander also Dave and fully understand the need for a left handed rifle.
I'm in the process of building a L/H Hawken but am lucky in that parts are available for this build. I think you are going to have to go it alone on this one though as I know of no one making a breech that size. Good Luck     Frank

Dave Faletti

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
Hi Don.
I could go right handed breech but I like the lock on the opposite side.  I prefer to keep fouling and cap fragments as far away as I can.  A flint would be less of an issue I think.  Everything I currently have is a lefty so I would also like to keep them that way.  A drum would work well enough, but  I prefer solid breeches if  I can get them.

Napthtali
I went with Dennis once before.  I might go that way.  I like to look at a breech and make sure its what I want before its put on a barrel. I can modify and polish the powder chamber at that time as well.  Dennis won't sell a breach that he doesn't install.  I'll pull a regular flint breech but once a patent breech is installed and machined to match the barrel flats I would rather leave it be.

Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »