Author Topic: Hand filed wood screws  (Read 3633 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Hand filed wood screws
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
I just finished filing out my first hand made wood screw and learned a big lesson. You can file the threads on in the wrong direction. :o

I went to thread the screw in my nicely drilled pilot hole and the dang thing would not tighten up until I was going to unscrew it, then it tightened right up.  :-\

I thought you guys might get a laugh out of that. ;D

Oh, come on now, don't tell me I'm the only one who has done this :D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Hand filed wood screws
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:57 AM »
You're not the first one to do it wrong, You're the first one to do it period!!! :D :D I have to admire your desire to try everything.

Steve
Steve Skillman

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
You could probably do great doing propane fittings.. credits for not being afraid to try and thanks for sharing.   cheers   Bob

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
I sure nuff did the same thing and it was on a complicated piece, a stud for a sling that I had rough forged.  I thought about saying some bad words when it just spun in the pilot hole till I turned it the "wrong" way. That was a do-over.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
I just finished filing out my first hand made wood screw and learned a big lesson. You can file the threads on in the wrong direction. :o

I went to thread the screw in my nicely drilled pilot hole and the dang thing would not tighten up until I was going to unscrew it, then it tightened right up.  :-\

I thought you guys might get a laugh out of that. ;D

Oh, come on now, don't tell me I'm the only one who has done this :D
bama, I will one up you.  Back in the 70's I was home on leave from the Navy.  My dad and I were installing power stering into my 55 Ford pick up.  About 3 AM in the morning we had completed the installation and my dad ask me to get in the truck and check it out.  To our surprise, when I turned the steering wheel to the right the front wheels turned to the left.  Tired and dirty we looked at each other and all my dad could say was, "What a great anti theft device. 
DMR

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
It's definitely custom :)
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »
Those are for the other side of the rifle.

Actually there is no reason you couldn't use a left hand thread on a wood screw, as long as you remember where it is, or don't ever take it out again.