Author Topic: John Shuler Rifle  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
John Shuler Rifle
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
Dose anyone know if the John Shuler rifle No. 64 in Shumway`s "Rifles of Colonial America" Vol. 1 has a forestock molding?It dosen`t appear to have any in the pictures,but they are kind of dark and I can`t be sure.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: John Shuler Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
Mike, I think that particular rifle does not have a upper forearm molding.  The image of the lower forearm and entry pip-e transition on page 275 (in my book) does not show one.  Also,  the overall image on page 271 shows escutcheons around the slides/keys, and these would interrupt the molding line.  However, the Ticonderoga Schuler has a bold molding exactly like A. Verner RCA #63.  There are so many similarities between Verner's and Schuler's rifles, you'd think they came from the same shop.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »
Thanks Taylor.I don`t think that it has any either.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Not sure about the rifle you mention, but I saw a beautiful Shuler at one of the CLA shows a while back that had just a simple moulding beginning just ahead of the front pipe and terminated above the typical large fleur de lis extension on the rear pipe. Here it transitioned into a light moulding that ran along the barrel channel back to the lock panel moulding. This one had an oct/round smooth barrel and no escutheons around the barrel keys. No wire inlay or relief carving but was elegant with Shulers well executed and reserved incised carving and simple engraving design. I've got the wood, lock kit, castings and the barrel for recreating a Shuler in the rafters of the shop when I get the nerve to start on it. I belive those Bucks County guns are some of the most attractive ever made! Like to see pictures when you get along with it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA