Author Topic: NEW ENGLAND FOWLER INFO NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 3491 times)

rdillon

NEW ENGLAND FOWLER INFO NEEDED PLEASE
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:19:31 AM »
I am currently building a New England Fowler inspired by the work of Phinehas Sawyer and Thomas Earl and am in desperate need of a good photo or drawing of the Trefoil Carving Design around the tang.
I've searched all my books including Grinslades' book and can't quite make out it's orginal appearance.

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks in advance, Rich

Offline Dave B

Re: NEW ENGLAND FOWLER INFO NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »
Rich,
this is what really needs some hands on experience. The photos in Grinslade's book only give a general impression. With out getting the original in good light you will always come up short unless some one has well lit photos. I know that George Shumway has a bunch of photos of various pieces that some portions of them are unpublished. He may have some of this particular detail or even Tom G him self. It is worth a call at any rate.
Dave Blaisdell

Bentflint

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Rich, what # is it in Grinslade's book?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
Bentflint,
He is reffering to pages 62-65   showing #NE-28, NE-29, NE-30, and NE-31. The best of them is NE-30 for detail but its still hard to have a clear understanding of whats happening there.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »
This one?

Ed Hamberg

rdillon

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
YES!!!!  Thats much better.  Many thanks.  Any others?????  howabout what the detail of the leaves???  What are the details like???

Many Many Thanks, Rich

MORE PLEASE