Author Topic: Moll toeplate  (Read 3034 times)

Offline tiswell

Moll toeplate
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
 Does anyone know the shape of the toeplate on the Moll fowler on page 206 of Grinslades book? I am trying to make a reasonable facsimile and have no reference material other than the FF book which does not have a view of the toe plate.

Thanks, Bill

Offline tiswell

Re: Moll toeplate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »
        Thanks to Allen Martin for answering this for me and directing me to a great reference resource!

Blessings, Bill

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:58:43 AM »
tiswell,

Don't keep us in the dark.  What did he say?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
I think several of the features on this piece show similarities to the work of Christian Oerter and details such as the notching of the toe plate into the butt plate as described in the text. The entry pipe has the same type of step down at the finial with the same type of molding details as Oerter used. The toe plate could be of the similar design with a short base and a single screw in the center of a breast like finial. The picture of the fowler does shows a short toe plate section. It is irritating  you just cant see what the finial is like. Given the other details you cant go wrong with using one more feature that we know is fits with the others.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline tiswell

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
 Sorry, I should have included that info in my reply. He sent me a view of the toeplate that showed the toe plate as well as notch in the toe of the butt plate that it extends into. He suggested that I purchase the Moravian Gun Making book as a good reference resource.   

Bill