Author Topic: Getz 7/8 ultralight in .54, Stock options?  (Read 3391 times)

54ball

Getz 7/8 ultralight in .54, Stock options?
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
 I have a 42 inch 7/8 Getz lightweight in .54 that I am going to use for a future project.  I have been looking at several different pre-carve stock styles.  I really like the John Phillip Beck style.  A very close second would be a John Armstrong.

For the stock I would be happy with the rear portion of the stock shaped with just the barrel inlet and the ramrod drilled.

Will the 7/8 straight barrel work OK in a Beck?  I know there are many Beck stocks available.  For instance Knob Mountain shows 3 Fred Miller patterns.  They have a smaller pattern Beck "I don't think it's the Boy's pattern." and I wonder if that would that be more in proportion for a 7/8 barrel?

I really do like the John Armstrong style also but I wonder how it would do with a .54 caliber.  Would it be too brutal to shoot?

This will be my second project so what I build will be simple as far as decoration and trim.  For instance, if I built the Armstrong I would trim it iron and loosely base it on the Early Bogle Tennessee Rifle.

Any suggestions or other stock options would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline Don Getz

Re: Getz 7/8 ultralight in .54, Stock options?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
I would go with Knob Mtn's Beck, not the small one, but a full sized Beck.  Then also buy his set of Beck hardware, the
best there is.    This should be a comfortable gun to shoot, much better choice than an Armstrong............Don

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
The Beck would be more comfortable to shoot, but it depends what you want to do with it.  The Armstrong would make a nice, light hunting gun.  I used that same barrel to build a Bedford for a friend.  Shot well, but kicked like a mule.  He isn't a target shooter though, only wants it for hunting, so he was fine with it.  Just depends on your goals...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

northmn

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
We ahve discussed this through other threads, but a 54 can have the ability to deliver enough recoil to get uncomfortable with recoil.  Go with a Beck or other design with a wide straight buttplate.  The Beck/Lancaster designs adapt easier for better recoil geometry in the comb also.

DP

54ball

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »
 Thanks to all of you.  I'm going to build this rifle as a Beck.  Especially since this rifle will be for my brother.

I really do like the Armstrong style but I feel it would be better in a smaller caliber.  In a larger caliber it would make for an interesting  and handy light weight rifle.  With that said  I think a larger caliber Armstrong would be better suited to a more experienced longrifle shooter.

Do the Knob Mountain Beck stocks allow for just a little cast off?

northmn

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
About any design allows for cast off, but for a 7/8 barrel it might not really be needed.  Cast off is better used in the heavier barrels with the heavier breeches.  I am finishing up a 1" barrel with no cast off and really question whether it was needed as that one points and hold very well.  After building a couiple of slim ones without it, I think it may be as much an affectation as anything.  The straighter back the recoil the less noticible.

DP

54ball

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:57 AM »
 Thanks