Author Topic: Blank stocks  (Read 5145 times)

uplandhunter

Blank stocks
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:13:02 AM »
what are the Dimenson of a Blank stocks??

Offline Scott Bumpus

Re: Blank stocks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:04:55 AM »
no set size, a stock blank refers to a hunk of wood big enough to cut a gunstock out of.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »
What ever size you need to build your project mostly. That being said most of the blanks out there tend to be cut to a general dimension that will a person to make just about any particular style out of it. The over all length at least  64" long  6" height at the butt and 2 1/2 inches wide. If you want to make a Hudson valley fowler then you will need a longer stock. I have purchased a large plank that I was able to cut several longrifle stocks from the exact length I needed.
Dave Blaisdell

uplandhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:32 AM »
I was looking at some pennsylvania cherry. Were are most of you getting your patterns from? I plan on copying a few from my mentor Steve bookout, but just wondered where every one was getting theirs?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:36:07 PM by uplandhunter »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:37:43 AM »
I was looking at some pennsylvania cherry. Were are most of you getting your patterns from? I plan on copying a few from my mentor Steve bookout, but just wondered where every one was getting theirs?
Most evrybody draws out their own patterns according to what they're building.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 02:51:45 AM »
What Mike said...   Or, another method that can be used is an opaque projector.  If you have a drawing or photo of a particular rifle, enlarge the image onto a wall with the projector.  RCA I&II (and other books) give the overall length so you keep everything in proportion.  Tape a big piece of paper to the wall and trace the projected image once you've enlarged it to size.  You'll need to have some measurements of the original to do this, but it works well.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline whitebear

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
If you are concerned about getting a blank that is too small you could send the supplier some measurements of what you want in the finished gun.  I am sure that they will leave enough overage on the measurements that getting what you want won't be a problem.  Most of the blanks that I have used had enough scrap wood to almost build another rifle.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

uplandhunter

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
the blank I am looking at is 60" x 2 1/4" x 6" and is $125.00

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »
   6" in width gives you no room to move your pattern around to achieve the best layout.  I consider 8" of width about minimum.  There are lots of stock blank suppliers out there that should be able to provide a good piece of wood at that price.  It sounds like this is your first gun from a blank, if so don't invest in premium wood for your first attempt.  You will make mistakes and a less expensive piece of wood will make a nice gun and teach you a lot for less $$$.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

uplandhunter

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
sounds like a good idea, thanks!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 02:54:39 AM »
I agree with Lucky's advice, the 6" height is marginal, and I would probably pass on it. It doesn't allow much drop at the butt.
Tom C.