Author Topic: sighting in  (Read 3280 times)

Offline dave gross

sighting in
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
It's fall and time for the time honored tradition known as "sighting in".  This is where expensive firearms which were perfectly zeroed just 10 months ago are tested to determine if they still retain sufficient accuracy to "harvest" (PC for kill) a member of the great Whitetail deer herd.  In keeping with the spirit of this tradition I decided to give my flintlock longrifles a "tune-up" this past weekend.  The tune-up consists of running a dry patch down the barrels and heading for the backyard bench.  Both of my rifles have swamped Getz barrels in .45 caliber...one is octagon/round profile and has a deeply coned muzzle...I know this is very detrimental to accuracy but what's done is done so I live with it. I fired  5 shots from each rifle off the bench with a 65 grain charge of 3f topped with a .433 ball in a .015 patch....I know that won't shoot worth a hoot but it loads wicked easy in the field so you never break a loading stick when far from the settlements. The pictures which I hope to attach show that these combinations seem adequate for the upcoming "harvest".  I know its just around the corner because the country stores are all flying their "BUDWEISER WELCOMES HUNTERS"banners......do we really need to encourage them?

Dave Gross
Way down east in Maine

Candle Snuffer

Re: sighting in
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »
Nice looking rifles and good looking groups Dave.  Just one question, do you use a spit patch when you hunt?  I only ask because I see you listed that on your targets.

I don't know if you hunt with a spit patch, but if you do you may want to consider switching to a greese patch so a rust ring will not form in the bore from where the patch sets in the bore for an extended period of time.

My apologies if you're already aware of this. :)

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »
With such accurate rifles, Dave - you should have entered the postal chunk match.

Offline dave gross

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »
When the rifle will be loaded for a long time as while hunting, I avoid the spit patch in favor of Wonderlube.  I've used that stuff for years and it works fine as far as I can tell.

Dave