Author Topic: Where have all the barrels gone ?  (Read 16364 times)

Offline pathfinder

Re: Where have all the barrels gone ?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »
Having had a furniture re-finishing business for nearly 30 years,keeping the customer informed was the #1 priority in my shop. We usually had a 4-6 week turn around time for most "normal" job's,dresser's,tables and such,but if we foresaw a delay,we immediately called the customer to let them know. A little thing like that practically insures success.

Back to the barrel's,I've noticed a slight delay in some configurations,but nothing really bad. I'm now using Rice straight barrels,more expensive than Green Mt.,but well worth the price,fit finish and accuracy and ease of cleaning is OUTSTANDING! Wish I was using them years ago!

I did get 2 "B" weight Colerain barrels at a gun show recently. Must be tough getting barrels as I was asked several time's while walking around with them if I wanted to sell 'em. Maybe some people just don't have the patience for this line of work.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Herb

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 06:28:13 AM »
I just got another order from Muzzleloader Builders Supply and asked Ryan about their business being for sale.  He said he has another machine shop business that he needed to spend all his time on.  He completed my order right away, it included all the parts for an L&R Hawken caplock except the plate and mainspring.  I got those parts in a trade.  The parts I got were the correct ones, and all of them.  I like doing business with MBS.  They have a web site.
Herb

northmn

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
One of the things I had noticed was that barrel configurations are getting less diverse.  Look at the Green Mountain list in Track for instance and you will see a few discontinued options.  Business being what it is, retailers have to stock what sells and unload what does not.  Profits are not only based on markup but on turnover.  If you can turn over a can of beans at 1% profit but do it every day you make a 365% return on your origninal investment in a year (you have to handle this item more and restock and so forth). If you sell one large widget a year you need a larger markup.  Same for barrels in that they do need to turn over in a given length of time.  When I was a city administrator I had two new liquor store managers (MN has city owned liquor stores) get rid of some of their stock that had been setting around for over a year.  The loss was already taken and any dollars taken in from their sale could be put to work buying something that would sell.   Specialty barrels are left to custom makers and higher prices.   You used to see certain calibers more common also.  I looked for a one inch 62 and did not see any listed from GM.  There was one in Dixie gun works at a higher price.  Montana barrels used to make a 69 rifled barrel etc.  Some of you that like specific calibers may have a bit longer wait over those that want a 45, 50 or 54.

DP

greybeard

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
The way I see it is that if you have enough money to tool up to make barrels you probably don't have to.    As to price my wife & I are in our 70s on fixed incomes and I just ordered a B wt Colerain barrel that made me say ouch but am still wondering how they do it for that price.  Like Mr. Chambers says, " You will probabley not get rich in this business." Thank goodness folks are still doing their best at it though.
Cheers    Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:16 AM »
Excuse me? Take up to a year to complete? A very curious statement!

Tom, I think what she meant by that is that it might take a year to complete an order or make delivery, not make the barrel.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »
Hello, I don't know proper etiquette for these forums, but I have a question that is related, so if I shouldn't ask here, please say so. How many folks are building and thus using the suppliers of barrels, locks, stocks etc...  I am very new to this and have purchased items from many different suppliers and am shocked at how much is available for all of us to work with. Just have been curious about how many people may be doing a version of what you and I are. Not an actual number, just is it a bunch or what ? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 03:48:35 AM »
There are a "bunch" easily several thousand. Some full time, some part time, some every once in awhile.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 04:19:10 AM »
My best "educated guess" is less than 10,000 custom guns per year being made, probably closer to 8,000.  That doesn't include guns from the large companies like Thompson Center,Traditions, Pedersoli, etc.  That is just guns made from scratch or from kits like we and other small dealers sell.  Overall, it is a fairly small market.  8,000 units for many production companies would be little more than a trial run to test their tooling.

Offline James

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Mr. Glazener and Mr. Chambers, Thank you for your responses. It makes everything I've bought in the last 7 months seem incredibly inexpensive. When dealing with a small customer base, it can't be easy to stay afloat, let alone get ahead. I promise I will do my best to either build quicker or with more mistakes so that either way it'll help sell more stuff ;D
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
Jim ought to know. In addition, it's been my experience that during times of economic downturn in the past, barrels , wood and parts were also harder to get. More people building. Not fewer. Businesses that go out of business do so for other resons.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Probably some self fulfilling prophecy mixed in, too.  These threads about scarce barrels started last year, so there could be come hoarding.  I know last summer at Dixons I bought a couple extra for projects I won't get to for at least a year.  "Hmm, getting scarce, better grab them now when I can."  A couple hundred builders doing the same thing could blow through available inventories pretty quick.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »
Just got a Rice barrel today. They had barrels in stock a couple of weeks ago, just not the caliber and length I wanted. They said it would be a month before they got to what I ordered. It was more like three weeks. Big smiles here.
t
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

huckfinn

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
I ordered a barrel Thursday from Rice.  I saw on their website that they are going to start taking orders for their April production run.  That's about tax time....so I contacted them.  I think he had some in stock but I am ok with the wait.
     Herb, I ordered the same barrel as you...the Jim's Little Rifle barrel also in .50 caliber.  I think I spoke with Jason.  He told me that he would install the middle barrel lug (.025") and solder in place.  Its kinda thin there.  I ordered a lollipop plug from TOW and am sending it to him, also to install it for me.  It will be for a southern mountain poorboy rifle.  Best yet he isn't going to bill me until the barrel ships out to me   ;)  That keeps the wife from getting  too upset.